Dromaeosaurus Teeth?

mauser89

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a Dromaeosaurus tooth and found 2 that are labeled as such.  The serrations look different to me so I am not sure which one I should go with.  I did browse through some old threads and saw some discussions about Dromaeosaurus not being found in Hell Creek which only confused me more.

#1.  Hell Creek, Harding County, South Dakota

2.thumb.jpg.b850971d749e6ff161531e3ad935a4a6.jpg

#2. Hell Creek, Carter County, Montana

1.thumb.jpg.33ea40763a69576415d68b147f70ddf2.jpg

Welcome to the forum, can you tell us the size of the teeth? Size helps alot.

According to Evans et al. (2013) and DePalma et al. (2015), the only two species of raptor that exists in Hell Creek Fm are Acheroraptor and Dakotaraptor. Hell Creek teeth has been attributed to Dromaeosaurus in the past, but the studies mentioned showed how these attributions are inaccurate.

The reason why people still list Hell Creek teeth as Dromaeosaurus is for one of two reasons. 1) They are not aware that the raptor does not exist in Hell Creek (most likely, as it is easy for people to assume that every famous Late Cretaceous dinosaur coexisted) 2) They are trying to mislead buyers for a quick cash grab. 

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to differentiate raptor species based on teeth alone (especially Hell Creek ones); usually other skeletal remains are needed to make a conclusive species ID. In this case, the tooth is usually just identified as a generic "raptor" or "Dromaeosauridae indet".

As for the teeth in question, if the teeth are big enough, there is a possibility that Nanotyrannus could be a choice (I'm not an expert in that field though. But  @Troodon is.)

If you really want a specific Dromaeosaurus tooth, they are found in nearby but older formations such as Judith River Fm and Two Medicine Fm, although at this point the market is flooded with Hell Creek raptor teeth falsely labeled as Dromaeosaurus.

• I found this Informative 5

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Welcome to the forum

Yep DatFossilBoy and Macrophyseter are correct.  Unfortunately lots sellers don't have a clue what's going on in the Hell Creek or how to identify Dromaeosaurid teeth more out of ignorance than deceit.  The first tooth shown is a Nanotyrannus and the second one may also be one, need more pictures but it a Tyrannosaurid?   Also lots of Dromaeosaur teeth are being sold from Morocco's Kem Kem basin also incorrectly identified.  Keep looking but please post your interests here before you buy.   My recommendation to all buyers of isolated teeth is don't trust any identification you see by anyone.  Become an expert or post your interest here in the forum.

Teeth from the  small Dromaeosaurid Acheroraptor are fairly available one just needs to make sure it's identified correctly

Dakotaraptor teeth appear to be very rare and extremely difficult to identify.  If you see any strongly suggest it be posted before you buy.

• I found this Informative 6

Thanks for the welcome and in-depth replies.

The sizes of the teeth are #1 11/16" long and #2 5/8" long.  Unfortunately, those are the only photos of the teeth.  There are other "Dromaeosaurus" teeth in the collection from the same location in Hell Creek but they all look the same in varying degrees of condition.  

True Dromaeosaurid's teeth from the Hell Creek are not that large.  Acheroraptor teeth are typically 5/8" or less and Dakotaraptor teeth are under 1" so when you see teeth over 1" the red flag should come out.

• I found this Informative 1

Got it.  So the size and the shape of the root are dead giveaways that it could be mislabeled.  Based on that and your other thread, would it be safe to say this a Nanotyrannus

like the others?  It is 1.25" from Hell Creek in Powder River County, Montana.1.thumb.jpg.7319b6bb7f4d712c577b92d47b04d443.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.91865d5d647a5b072e24c7fe88cca7f6.jpg

Edited by mauser89

5 minutes ago, mauser89 said:

Got it.  So the size and the shape of the root are dead giveaways that it could be mislabeled.  Based on that and your other thread, would it be safe to say this a Nanotyrannus

like the others?  It is 1.25" from Hell Creek in Powder River County, Montana.

:dinothumb: and a nice one

• 3 months later...

Another one what do you think of the ID? Details of the tooth below. Sorry about the awful quality resolution photos these are the pics that the seller put up.

Dromeosaurus albertensis

16 mm

Hell Creek Formation, Wyoming, USA

_dsc1020_c02af3.jpg

_dsc1018_1_f2ebb4.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

6 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Another one what do you think of the ID? Details of the tooth below. Sorry about the awful quality resolution photos these are the pics that the seller put up.

Dromeosaurus albertensis

16 mm

_dsc1020_c02af3.jpg

_dsc1018_1_f2ebb4.jpg

Its not Dromaeosaurus albertensis if it was found in Hell Creek or Lance Formations. It IS dromaeosaurid though. I don’t see any identifying characteristics to ID the tooth to the genus level. I see no facets on the crown to ID it as Acheroraptor and denticles per 5mm would have to be counted to ID it to a Dakotaraptor (16-19/5mm distal and 19-27/5mm mesial). If it were my tooth, it would be labeled Dromaeosaur sp. indet.  It’s a cool tooth that appears to be anterior maxillary

• I found this Informative 1

@mburkett Thanks so much for the useful information that is really helpful and it is good to know your thoughts on the tooth. I will check with the seller if they can provide a serrations per 5mm count.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

I wish I lived anywhere close to dinosaur locations to hunt these kind of fossils. That's awesome! Sweet find!

• I found this Informative 2

“Too much change is as destructive as too little. Only at the edge of chaos can complex systems flourish.” 
― Michael Crichton, The Lost World

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, i have just joined this site and wondered if i could get some help with identifying a tooth, the tooth in question was bought as Dromaeosaurus, Hell Creek Formation. Firstly i realise that Dromaeosaurus remains are not found in this formation and to my untrained eye it doesn't appear to be Acheroraptor although the size is around 15mm in length, so ruling out hell creek formation altogether I'm scratching my head to the possible species of Dromaeosaurid or could it may be Abelisaurid! Help! Thank you

IMG_20201218_132728.jpg

No i realise there were no Abelisaurids in north America only in the south and i have a couple of Abelisaurid teeth from Africa which is why i wondered because thay are simular, but i am far from an expert, thank you. 

On 11/11/2018 at 1:32 PM, Jaimin013 said:

Dromeosaurus albertensis

16 mm

_dsc1020_c02af3.jpg

_dsc1018_1_f2ebb4.jpg

Actually looks like a juvie Nano and the Lance Fm is in Wyoming not HC.  Need photo of base.  The cross-section of the base of Dromaeosaurid teeth from HC is rectangular and compressed