Mazon Creek Bone Fragment?

Rockpit

I found this nodule already open and thought it was a fossilized piece of wood.  However, it is not the usual black color of most of plants I have found.  Could this be a bone fragment?

DSC02365.thumb.JPG.cb459ad04a6886056eab8257c1c5f874.JPGDSC02373.thumb.JPG.95b3cc582fd8910dd9fbe88171ea7ec5.JPGDSC02369.thumb.JPG.fae2a55836bf9283cb97e835365f3aa9.JPG

I feel like I saw a Paleozoic shark spine that looked like this a while back but wait for others opinions. Cool whatever it is!

@Nimravis

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I feel like I saw a Paleozoic shark spine that looked like this a while back but wait for others opinions. Cool whatever it is!

@Nimravis

I have no clue on this one, I will pass it off to @RCFossils for his opinion.

• I found this Informative 1

That is a fascinating one! Could it be some sort of crustacean carapace? It kind of looks like there is a thin segmented impression extending from the top (in the individual pics) outer corners, like an antenna. I look forward to hearing what others think. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for all your replies! This fossil is different from the others I have found in that it seems to contain a fragment of the original organism rather than only an imprint in the rock. 

I would say it's not bone. It does resemble some type of Arthropod limb. Unfortunately, it probably is just a piece of flora. 

Jack, @fiddlehead may be able to point you in the right direction. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

In my opinion, deutscheben is correct. It is a shed carapace of a Belotelson magistor. Of the shrimp-like animals at Mazon Creek it had the most robust exoskeleton. They also have a prominent eye notch. The notch can be seen middle-right, in the bottom-right picture which also shows the inside of the hollow carapace. 

I hope this helps,

Jack

• I found this Informative 4

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, fiddlehead said:

In my opinion, deutscheben is correct. It is a shed carapace of a Belotelson magistor. Of the shrimp-like animals at Mazon Creek it had the most robust exoskeleton. They also have a prominent eye notch. The notch can be seen middle-right, in the bottom-right picture which also shows the inside of the hollow carapace. 

I hope this helps,

Jack

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, deutscheben said:

That is a fascinating one! Could it be some sort of crustacean carapace? It kind of looks like there is a thin segmented impression extending from the top (in the individual pics) outer corners, like an antenna. I look forward to hearing what others think. 

Thanks for pointing that out.  I thought I could see what deutscheben was referring to but I thought maybe I was imagining things.