Pineapple Turtle Shell?

Warbreaker

Just found this in glendive Montana. It's thin like turtle shell but has several raised sharp adornments, resembling pineapple skin. Two of the sides are completed edges, while two are fresh breaks. It doesn't match up with any of the common turtle species I could find. Any ideas? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It looks like It’s from a Common snapping turtle.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

It looks like It’s from a Common snapping turtle.

Wouldn't the scale of the ornament relative to the thickness of the shell be a problem ?

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Wouldn't the scale of the ornament relative to the thickness of the shell be a problem ?

Perhaps? I’m not a turtle guy but I’ve seen plenty common snappers, the problem is they were all alive. If your asking if they can have sizable spikes at the back, then yes but usually less so then, say, an alligator snapper. I don’t know much about Montana, @Troodon do you know anything about this area and if turtles are part of its fauna?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

the problem is they were all alive.

Not a problem for me. :)

IMG_4854a.jpg

the comparison to snapping turtle makes me ask, is this original piece a fossil or a modern bone?  It looks like a fossil from here, and I would agree that it is some sort of uncommon turtle piece.  Not sure about snapper.  Could it be a leg covering?