Ed's House of Gems ..... The Tradition Continues

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hello Everyone,

Since I am away from my usual haunts and fossil hunts and currently on the left coast ... we decided (ok, I insisted like a small excited child) that we take our annual trip to Ed's House of Gems on Sandy Blvd. in Portland, Oregon.  Since meeting my wife's folks and seeing her old stomping grounds as a child ... her family's frequent visits to this old dive bar of a rock shop was one of the extra bonuses that sealed the deal and now we have two kids.  haha.

Ok, so Ed's is a family run business and has been around at least as long as we have .. 40 + years. It is a building tucked a bit away from a street filled with mariner themed dive bars, Chinese restaurants, and establishments of ill repute (?) Ok, it's Portland so they have a bikini drive through coffee hut nearby as well.....  Keeping it weird.

The storefront has probably not changed over the decades so it borders on the kitsch .. which honestly is back in style now.  It's just a fantastic trip down memory lane when 'my' family used to pile into a car for two weeks and drive across the desert Southwest (with one tape player between 3 kids) .  These rock shops it seemed were dotted along the highway and we were screaming bloody murder anytime we spotted one, because my dad (I know) secretly wanted to stop at all of them as well.  Piled in big metal caged bins were boulders of obsidian or agate, petrified wood, and rose quartz ... buy it by the pound.  We usually left with our little trinkets and mineral treats.  Always loved those stops, and they are a disappearing breed with online taking over and shuttering the brick and mortar locations.  I think the other rock shop here in Oregon that is worth a look is a little place on the way to Bend, OR but I digress.

Anyhoo .. inside the store is filled with everything a rockhound would want.  Minerals in the rough, slabs, tools, tumblers, mineral specimens, Moroccan fakes, Moroccan real, Riker mounts, shells, fossils etc .....

I love every inch of that rock infested place .. and now it is a new tradition for the next generation.  I hope it sticks around for a few more ......

37734281_10215504582435185_3978488361596747776_n.thumb.jpg.76ab1b0e18e730bbb4c860242e7b1f5d.jpg

37719208_10215504583835220_6634437730182889472_n.thumb.jpg.096383dd07f3f80780095fdc27d7129d.jpg

37741226_10215504584635240_6023210686497161216_n.thumb.jpg.fd256cc8fa8df611347ebc3c957aab14.jpg

37794300_10215504582035175_2837360957443801088_n.thumb.jpg.27bf2f2af08b5624a1544cd89e72d4e7.jpg

37790607_10215504585555263_7580422242975088640_n.thumb.jpg.d80bb170685cb8b40f7da42ed7d3fe7a.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

There's one of that same type of shop in Victoria.. been there for years. Called 'The Rockhound Shop' (duh) -Possibly a little smaller, and no guns on the wall, but much the same otherwise. Haven't been in it lately but I believe they're still open, amazingly enough, despite all the reasons you mention plus the high cost of real estate in Victoria.

2 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

so they have a bikini drive through coffee hut nearby as well.....  Keeping it weird.

What is weird about that?

5 hours ago, Nimravis said:

What is weird about that?

Actually, the Indian word for weird is Portland. The place has a reputation!

That shop looks too neat and tidy...not nearly enough dust for the shops I am used to.

And where are the half corroded, moth eaten taxidermy mounts?!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Portland, will your wonders never cease:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I love every inch of that rock infested place .. and now it is a new tradition for the next generation.  I hope it sticks around for a few more ......

I didn't know about this rock shop in Portland... thanks for the info! 

Did you also do the pilgrimage to Powell's?  They used to have a separate building near the downtown store that had nothing but scientific books....the more obscure and out-of-print the better.  But I don't see it listed on their website anymore.  Maybe it is lumped into the main store for online purchases.  

Opalized wood, $10 a pound???  There is tons of that stuff between Klamath Falls and Lakeview.  That is too funny...:D

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

That shop looks too neat and tidy...not nearly enough dust for the shops I am used to.

This isn't exclusively a rock shop, but it has everything; rocks, fossils, coins, skulls, skins, horns, handmade leather musketball pouches, riker mounts, taxidermy, knives, guns, artifacts.  The Stage Stop Trading Post in Custer, SD.  A destination whenever I am in western SD. Warms my heart just thinking about it.

Screenshot_20180725-130603_Earth.jpg.2bee05a0f1e5bd4c4d8239de1de5469c.jpg

24 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

This isn't exclusively a rock shop, but it has everything; rocks, fossils, coins, skulls, skins, horns, leather musketball bags, riker mounts, taxidermy, knives, guns, artifacts.  The Stage Stop Trading Post in Custer, SD.  A destination whenever I am in western SD. Warms my heart just thinking about it.

Looks like my kind of place!

Of course it is not complete without a grizzly old proprietor that knows everything about everything.

Do they have the Sasquach sandwich special?  Yummy!

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

27 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

This isn't exclusively a rock shop, but it has everything; rocks, fossils, coins, skulls, skins, horns, leather musketball bags, riker mounts, taxidermy, knives, guns, artifacts.  The Stage Stop Trading Post in Custer, SD.  A destination whenever I am in western SD. Warms my heart just thinking about it.

this is what all the cool kids in the white station wagon with scorching hot vinyl seats kept a sharp lookout for :D

Never was able to spend enough time inside to see everything....

StuckeysFl.jpg

and of course, you couldn't drive across West Texas and New Mexico without seeing these every 50 to 100 miles.  By the time we got there, my dad was so sick of hearing about "The Thing" that he just pointed and laughed and kept driving.

I think some of the signs are still there.  The actual store is still there, but not nearly as impressive 50 years on...

The thing.jpg

13 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Of course it is not complete without a grizzly old proprietor that knows everything about everything.

This place is run by a very nice elderly couple. It's like stepping back in time - even the prices.  No better place for the rock & fossil enthusiast than the black hills area.  Awesome rock shops everywhere. Love that area.

10 minutes ago, Walt said:

StuckeysFl.jpg

5 minutes ago, Walt said:

The actual store is still there, but not nearly as impressive 50 years on...

The thing.jpg

Love it.  On my bucket list to hit roadside attractions as a destination. I have driven to Florida countless times since the early 70s and have never seen Rock City or Ruby Falls :hearty-laugh:

No family trip was complete without numerous stops at a Stuckys.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

14 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Gotta love places like that!  You never know what you'll find in them!

-Joe

I know right .... this is the rock shop outside of Bend, OR in Redmond.  Canutts Gems And Rockshop  .. some really nice stuff in the small shop.  Beautiful thunder eggs.

Parking was for the rocks .. cars had to fend for themselves here if I remember correctly.

RedmondOregon.thumb.jpg.e719ff415edb4428a0fc2f9aef45916e.jpg

13 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

There's one of that same type of shop in Victoria.. been there for years. Called 'The Rockhound Shop' (duh) -Possibly a little smaller, and no guns on the wall, but much the same otherwise. Haven't been in it lately but I believe they're still open, amazingly enough, despite all the reasons you mention plus the high cost of real estate in Victoria.

That sounds like fun ..

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

Actually, the Indian word for weird is Portland. The place has a reputation!

I know right ... maybe they carried the dust and dirt away , along with the dead animals, when the son took over the shop from his father ??

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

This isn't exclusively a rock shop, but it has everything; rocks, fossils, coins, skulls, skins, horns, handmade leather musketball pouches, riker mounts, taxidermy, knives, guns, artifacts.  The Stage Stop Trading Post in Custer, SD.  A destination whenever I am in western SD. Warms my heart just thinking about it.

Oh man .. the looks like the best little tourist trap !  ... I'm gonna bookmark this thread to keep my future options open.  For the kids of course.  :ighappy:

1 hour ago, Walt said:

this is what all the cool kids in the white station wagon with scorching hot vinyl seats kept a sharp lookout for :D

StuckeysFl.jpg

We were not Stucky's kids but it looks cool. Our space with three kids was limited in the station wagon but that is what the hump in the middle and the foot wells in front of each seat was for.  I still remember the terrible back aches after sleeping straddled over that thing ...  

1 hour ago, Walt said:

and of course, you couldn't drive across West Texas and New Mexico without seeing these every 50 to 100 miles.  By the time we got there, my dad was so sick of hearing about "The Thing" that he just pointed and laughed and kept driving.

I think some of the signs are still there.  The actual store is still there, but not nearly as impressive 50 years on...

The thing.jpg

So ... what was the thing ?? .. was it a hand-made monstrosity ?

Never did find out.  Dad said it was a tourist trap and he'd be.....darned.....if he was going to waste time and money there.  We could see the building from the road and it looks like a run of the mill tourist trap :)

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2023

1 hour ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I know right .... this is the rock shop outside of Bend, OR in Redmond.  Canutts Gems And Rockshop  .. some really nice stuff in the small shop.  Beautiful thunder eggs.

Parking was for the rocks .. cars had to fend for themselves here if I remember correctly.

RedmondOregon.thumb.jpg.e719ff415edb4428a0fc2f9aef45916e.jpg

That sounds like fun ..

I know right ... maybe they carried the dust and dirt away , along with the dead animals, when the son took over the shop from his father ??

Oh man .. the looks like the best little tourist trap !  ... I'm gonna bookmark this thread to keep my future options open.  For the kids of course.  :ighappy:

We were not Stucky's kids but it looks cool. Our space with three kids was limited in the station wagon but that is what the hump in the middle and the foot wells in front of each seat was for.  I still remember the terrible back aches after sleeping straddled over that thing ...  

So ... what was the thing ?? .. was it a hand-made monstrosity ?

Our family had a tradition of having the big Chevy panel side station wagons (green).  With 5 kids it was either that or a school bus. :P

We never went for those tourist traps, always in too much of a hurry to get to some relative's house somewhere.

The thing about those tourist stops is, when you were inside wasting time and money unbeknownst to you,  they had someone putting on bumper stickers on your car advertising the attraction.

And yes, I am far too familiar with "The Hump"!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

5 minutes ago, caldigger said:

And yes, I am far too familiar with "The Hump"!

Anyone with a station wagon as a kid remember sleeping in the "way back"? :rofl:

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Anyone with a station wagon as a kid remember sleeping in the "way back"? :rofl:

You mean the seat that faced oncoming traffic?  Of course!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I haven't been to The House of Gems in over 20 years. I remember the last time I was there, I spent something like 3 hours just walking around looking & picking up far too many rocks, only to put them back because I didn't have any place for them. And I would have gone broke. Next time I go visit family in Vanc, I'll have to see about going there again.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

You mean the seat that faced oncoming traffic?  Of course!

Best seat in the house ..... we fought over that thing so much when it wasn't filled with groceries for the trip. That ..... and the Billy Ocean/Michael Jackson mix-tape.

wagon.jpg.c1c2d52cc23546f9fd0431532e55ce9b.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1