Marshosaurus Tooth for Sale

I saw this Marshosaurus tooth for sale so decided to check it out since some of you might be interested in it.  I have some concerns why I decided to post it.  If interested you need to do some work.  Its not easy to TRY to ID a tooth and most are just identified to a morphology so no guarantee any of this will get answers.

1) The mesial carina is hard to see but seems to extend close to the base.  In Megalosaurids it should only extend + 1/2  of the crown height.  If interested you should request sharper photos to get a better look.

2) The denticles seem to be apically directed.  In Megalosaurids they should be positioned perpendicular to the carina.  Again if interested request additional close-up photos. 

3) To do your homework properly request a serration count 5mm wide in the center of the distal serrations.  With the mesial serrations missing its a data point you are missing.  You should be around 16 or above for the distal side

4) The very tip looks it might a resto.  They mention that the tooth has had minor crack filling yet there is visible crack in the top photo.  Find out were the fill was done and if anything was done to the tip or was that the fill.  A closeup of the tip should be requested.
5) The CRB, Crown Base ratio, should be around .5 to confirm that fits within what is seen on marshosaurus.  So you need to request the length and width at the base, see photo to insure its done properly 

5b5a1ece229e0_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.197f0860186a674309b856410cca74e2.jpg

Must use the dimensions of a complete tooth.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4c9ff0bec33ad8e97290ddf3566ea1eb.jpg5b5a27c47fb8a_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.11d61b452ef2254a09f3fd69e9bc22b2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

thanks for the information extremely useful. I saw this listing a while back but was hesitant as I didn't know what to look for for a positive id on the tooth.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

There's some wrinkling near the bottom serrations, which is not characteristic of Marshosaurus. That wrinkling typically narrows it down to Torvosaurus and Allosaurus. The serrations don't look big enough to be Torvosaurus imo. Also the tooth is asymmetrical, a very common feature in Allosaurus. I feel quite confidently this tooth is Allosaurus.

• I found this Informative 1