T-Rex Premax Tooth

Is this really T-Rex Premax tooth? Size is slightly less than 2 inches (T-Rex Premax tooth rarely exceed 2.5 inches). Can it be some other Dinosaur teeth such as Nanotyrannus?

Thank you.

IMG_20180728_223035.jpg

IMG_20180728_223012.jpg

IMG_20180728_222937.jpg

IMG_20180728_222909.jpg

IMG_20180728_222845.jpg

IMG_20180728_222823.jpg

IMG_20180728_222756.jpg

Its definitely T rex with that size if its from the Hell Creek Formation.  May not be a Pre-max, if that matters, but without a root cannot make that determination.  Exceptionally nice tooth.

• I found this Informative 3

I get nervous when it sounds like I'm disagreeing with Troodon but I would say this is most definitely a premax tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with Dracorex.. that IS a premax tooth.  the last photo shows both rows of serations on either side.  Yes on T rex as well.  Beautiful tooth.  

It looks like a premax tooth to me too. But Troodon might know more about these kinda teeth than I do.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Well I also thought that and then I ran into Sue at the BHI and was in for a surprise.  The recently added replica skull gave me an opportunity to have a close-up look at her teeth.  Actually stuck my head into her mourh :D and lived :D and noticed that the dentary tooth position #1 looked exactly like a Premaxillary tooth.  Pete Larsen was there so I asked him how do you differentiate between the two since they looked the same.  He said it was easy the dentary tooth has a much longer root than the pre-max tooth.   My follow-up Q was well most of us normal folks do not have teeth with roots then how can you identify a crown between the two.   The surprise answer was you cannot.   He then proceeded to tell me a story of when they were prepping the Skull of Stan.  They finished the prep and wound up with two additional Premaxillary teeth and set them aside.  It was not until they prepped Sue a few years later that they realized that those two teeth were dentary.  Pete then took me over to see the real skull of Stan which is displayed in their museum and pointed to the empty sockets in position 1 on the dentary, the teeth had never been added.   However, since that point the hundreds of replica Stan skull they sold have had those teeth included in them.   Always something to be learned and nothing should come as a surprise.

Sue dentary

IMG_8243.jpg.a94eb5d661dd37186943bc173e0f376f.jpg

IMG_8246.JPG.c82f200db909adceb5b5924106ef5303.JPG

Sue Premax

IMG_8248.JPG.8a0b4b58af9a40f8d6123a753f7d27bb.JPG

@-Andy- @jpc @Dracorex_hogwartsia

• I found this Informative 17

Brilliant observation and great that you were able to follow up with the questions to Peter Larson, thank you for posting.  This is really a great place to learn.

Hey Frank, a number of years ago I was offered a T.rex premax shaped tooth that was being identified as from dentary position #1. Up until then I had no idea the dentary had any teeth shaped like that. I've thought about that over the years when I see a premax shaped tooth.You are exactly right that this could be a dentary tooth. As a general rule teeth of this shape will be identified as a premax tooth but as you have pointed out that may not be the case. So Pete said that the root will be longer on the dentary teeth. Well like he said it will really be impossible then to tell the difference because most all the teeth found will be shed teeth. In my mind it is just easier to describe them as premax teeth but again that may not be true. 

On 7/29/2018 at 5:02 AM, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks Frank that is an really a very interesting story .  Great facts. 

Thanks, yes very interesting and so many back stories to these fossils.

On 7/29/2018 at 5:32 AM, TyBoy said:

Brilliant observation and great that you were able to follow up with the questions to Peter Larson, thank you for posting.  This is really a great place to learn.

Thanks, just lucky

On 7/29/2018 at 12:57 PM, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Well like he said it will really be impossible then to tell the difference because most all the teeth found will be shed teeth. In my mind it is just easier to describe them as premax teeth but again that may not be true. 

Well the other way to look at it is that Premaxillary teeth are not as prized or valued as Dentary or Maxillary ones.  Now you can say it could be a Dentary from the RARE Number 1 position...:D

On 7/29/2018 at 2:00 PM, jpc said:

well dang it , frank.  Great tale. 

Yea dang is right....I'm glad Pete was around to educate us....