Large tooth found in Traverse Bay Michigan

Maccadon3000

Hello,

My 8 year old son found this while wading in Traverse Bay Michigan last week. It seems to be some kind of tooth or tusk because it is serrated on two opposite sides. It is definitely fossilized. Any idea what this is?  Thank you for taking the time to look. 

9E7FE651-812A-43FD-896A-21E301396897.jpeg

D940A06B-F081-4644-BB4C-0A579BB88E51.jpeg

Welcome. Your son may have found something really special or something really fake. It appears to have serations. Can you please provide us with more pictures of the serations? I'm thinking replica T-Rex tooth.

@Troodon what do you think?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Looks like a replica Theropod tooth, I don't think it's Rex to tall and lean but more pictures could help

Hello and thank you for the quick responses. I did the best I could with the follow up pictures. I am definitely a novice with fossils but it feels very real   In hand and has stress fractures in some ares that provide a level of authenticity.  Also, the location he was wading in the Bay adds to the intrigue. I can’t tell you how much this help you are giving will mean to my son. So eternal thanks. 

32E12AA4-E6D0-40DE-8E07-09731EBF998B.jpeg

F17ABCCD-A481-432A-8E7B-3C50144D1D9A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with replica. The texture of the tooth seems more like casting material rather than actual enamel.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Maybe it's just me, but I consider having found this wading in a lake as impressive as if had been an actual tooth. It reminds me of a time earlier this year where a little girl came up to me at the site saying she had found a shark's tooth in the trilobite pit. Before I even looked I assured her that it wasn't a shark tooth. Then, lo and behold, after looking at it, it was a modern shark tooth that must've fallen off someone's necklace. Weird things show up in weird places sometimes!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Looks like a resin replica.  Difficult to say what large theropod it can be from, lots of canidates to select from.

Are resin replicas heavy?  This has the weight of a rock of the same size.  Thank you again for all of the comments. 

3 minutes ago, Maccadon3000 said:

Are resin replicas heavy?  This has the weight of a rock of the same size.  Thank you again for all of the comments. 

No, so its might be weighted or made from something different.   Most replica teeth are resin.

Apparently it won't be the first or last time someone tosses something .. litters ... in a lake, river, or ocean.  Here's a claw !

1 hour ago, Maccadon3000 said:

D940A06B-F081-4644-BB4C-0A579BB88E51.jpeg

I'm not entirely convinced it's resin. In this view, it looks like a facet of the tooth has sheared off (?)  And look at the variation in coloring.  That would be quite the paint job.  Not saying definitively that it's not a cast, but I'm not sold yet. Take it to an expert for verification in hand...

Thank you for that advice. I wouldn’t even begin to know how t find an expert. I live in Columbus Ohio. Do you think I should contact someone at Ohio State University or would there be a better option?  Thank you again everyone. 

1 hour ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Apparently it won't be the first or last time someone tosses something .. litters ... in a lake, river, or ocean.  Here's a claw !

Im not one to be identifying claws; however, if this is a sloth core it is perfectly feasible that it came out of Lake Michigan.  

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

14 minutes ago, Rob Russell said:
1 hour ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Im not one to be identifying claws; however, if this is a sloth core it is perfectly feasible that it came out of Lake Michigan.  

In this case .. if you dig a bit at the top of the post this was a resin cast replica....

" edit: Paleontologist confirmed - resin cast replica. Also, after finally being able to hold it in my hand, it is very clearly a painted replica. Sorry to disappoint. Solved! "

1 hour ago, Maccadon3000 said:

Thank you for that advice. I wouldn’t even begin to know how t find an expert. I live in Columbus Ohio. Do you think I should contact someone at Ohio State University or would there be a better option?  Thank you again everyone. 

I would contact the museum collection manager at OSU and ask if he'd be willing to take a look at it.  Let us know what you find out.  It's probably a cast and certainly out of place, but better to be sure than always wondering!

Click on link below for contact info:

OSU Orton Geological Museum

4 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

In this case .. if you dig a bit at the top of the post this was a resin cast replica....

" edit: Paleontologist confirmed - resin cast replica. Also, after finally being able to hold it in my hand, it is very clearly a painted replica. Sorry to disappoint. Solved! "

I’m not one to venture away from the site trying to extract hidden info about something someone posted in conjecture with another post.  Reading your original post, and everything  else on this page, nowhere can one deduct that this is a resin cast.  Or even what it’s suppsed to represent.  

Thanks for coming back and filling in your blanks. 

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

7 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

And look at the variation in coloring.  That would be quite the paint job.

We do not know how long this item suffered wheatering, wave tumbling, encrusting with and removing of algae etc.

Franz Bernhard

Im certainly no help, but its a really good story no matter what it turns out to be. 

RB