Globidens tooth with strange repair...

Deinocheirusmaster!

I bought this tooth from a fossil dealer in Utah 2 years ago. I then somehow after that time noticed a strange mark on the bottom of the tooth where it attaches to the root and that there’s a sand like line going across the middle of the tooth. Could this be repair or fabricated teeth I’m seeing?

6C9ABC62-5FE2-44C3-9E90-822F3B00DDC8.jpeg

97F36FEB-13CC-4AD3-B924-7DB125F32897.jpeg

BC845641-D311-42C1-8477-6665062D0B1C.jpeg

Yeah that does indeed look like a composite. Unrelated root attached to the tooth crown.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Just now, LordTrilobite said:

Yeah that does indeed look like a composite. Unrelated root attached to the tooth crown.

Thanks for that info, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for something like to watch out for next time...

If you have the time don't hesitate to post any interests here before you buy so you can get more eyes on it.         

Unfortunately Moroccan material is on top of the list for being restored, composited or faked.  Some can be very well done.:(

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

If you have the time don't hesitate to post any interests here before you buy so you can get more eyes on it.         

Unfortunately Moroccan material is on top of the list for being restored, composited or faked.  Some can be very well done.:(

Unfortunately I found out that the hard way

1 minute ago, Deinocheirusmaster! said:

Unfortunately I found out that the hard way

Yes but most of us have had some bad experience with Moroccan fossils.  The trick is to learn from it.

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Yes but most of us have had some bad experience with Moroccan fossils.  The trick is to learn from it.

And some good experiences too,i hope! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

And some good experiences too,i hope! :)

I was told one time that the Moroccans will take an exceptional trilobite fossil and make a mold from it to use to make the fakes.  

If true, I have always thought that they could still sell them if they would be honest and label them as fakes.  I will never get the chance to go to Morocco and I certainly could not afford some of the fossils they uncover, so label them as fakes.  I would still buy them if they were good fakes.  I guess there is not as much money in honesty though.  Half the dinosaurs we ooh and ahh over in museums are casts, fakes if you will, taken from a dino in another museum somewhere.

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Just now, Walt said:

I was told one time that the Moroccans will take an exceptional trilobite fossil and make a mold from it to use to make the fakes.  

If true, I have always thought that they could still sell them if they would be honest and label them as fakes.  I will never get the chance to go to Morocco and I certainly could not afford some of the fossils they uncover, so label them as fakes.  I would still buy them if they were good fakes.  I guess there is not as much money in honesty though.

It is mostly true what you hear, some are very naughty, but the people down south who do this live in pretty abject poverty. 

However, most of the dealers I know will tell you if something is faked, or if it is 'enhanced', a composite or whatever if they are aware themselves. But only if you ask. 

Fair enough, i reckon. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

With the tooth itself, I do not see anything wrong. Still, you have a beautiful and excellent tooth! It is quite similar to the one I keep in my private collection:

image.png.493f2fe4decff4c36b48548ff734fc7a.png

image.png.cba714d81a9251fb4a488c7a8f5f7857.png

But yes, unfortunately I must agree with the others, because regrettably the root is a composition of two parts...

image.png.f0727204b979aab832df6c4accca914b.png

:dinothumb:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG