Possible tooth socket - New Jersey Cretaceous

frankh8147

Hello,

I recently found this bone fragment in Monmouth County New Jersey (Cretaceous) and was wondering if anyone knew what it was. My best guess is a Mosasaur tooth socket but the bone texture looked off to me. For comparison, the last picture is of the fossil in question compared to prior finds which were identified as Mosasaur tooth sockets.

As always, all help is greatly appreciated!

moss 6.jpg

moss2.jpg

moss3.jpg

moss5.jpg

moss7.jpg

It doesn't look like a socket. I can't really tell from the pictures what exactly it is, but it is either a concretion or a piece of bone. Can we have some more pics of the 2nd and 3rd items in the last pic? The 2nd might not be a socket and the 3rd looks interesting.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I should be able to get some picture of those in a day or two - I had them looked at by professionals in the past and they were both ID'd as Mosasaur tooth sockets (they both have enamel left at the top of the socket).

I can see what I think is a bone structure on the new one  under magnification.

They are all clearly sockets except it's hard to be sure about the potential new one.  Its likely to be one too but its so worn its hard to say much.  It does appear to be bone.

• I found this Informative 2

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

After looking at the second one again, it does seem to be a socket, with the tooth-holding part facing us. Part of it is broken down and I didn't notice the circular outline until now. The third one looks interesting in that the socket is very small.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

15 hours ago, non-remanié said:

They are all clearly sockets except it's hard to be sure about the potential new one.  Its likely to be one too but its so worn its hard to say much.  It does appear to be bone.

Thanks! That was my general thought as well.

Dear frankh,

Based on the photos given, the first fossil shown seems to be a fragment of the heavily eroded vertebral centrum of a juvenile large vertebrate, potentially a mosasaur. I cannot determine from the photos whether the other specimens are bone. 

All the best,

Chase

• I found this Informative 1

I see concretions in the individual piece pictures, no bone structures.

Not sure about the grupe shot, but see no bone there either. 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@ynot

Here are some better scans. I just got a new camera so my apologies for the poor quality (i've been asked for better photos from several other members).

For the bigger one in the photo, here is the old thread (that ID was later confirmed by NJ State Museum).

NOTE: In no way, shape, or form am I saying that this is what I think the NEW one is but I am very confident in the prior ID's of my 'comparison pieces' (unless some new information comes to my attention - everything I find is always up for interpretation). 

86soc.jpg

86socke.jpg

86socket.jpg

OK, I can see it now.

Good pictures really do make a big difference.

You will have even better results if You place the object on a solid surface. Lessens hand movement.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Very interesting, Frank. I am pretty sure I am seeing bone and I can see how this could be the base of a mosasaur tooth.

It sometimes takes a local (or experienced) eye to identify a specific location's fossils. This thread is a good example of that talent.

@Carl @non-remanié @Trevor

I just found this very worn piece of bone on my dig last weekend with Trevor and since it's such a similar topic, I figured I would just post it here. I thought it could be part of a Mosasaur brain case because it reminded me of one my brother found a few years back but that one area reminds me of those tooth sockets so I wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks! -Frank

mosjaw12.jpg

mosjaw14.jpg

mosjaw17gd.jpg

mosjaw18gd.jpg

@The Jersey Devil I still believe it to be part of the skull; however, after seeing it against, dry and from different angles, I can see how the idea of a tooth socket came about. I do not think I know enough about mosasaur or marine reptile anatomy to make a solid ID. Nonetheless, excellent find Frank.

: )

I think it may be a Mosasaur skull piece. It definitely isn't a tooth socket. The hole in it is too irregular and in the wrong location to be a socket. I don't know what type of skull bone this would be, however.

I also see a skull fragment - the upper right of the first shot looks like a skull suture. I can't take it farther than that, however. I suggest showing to the Dave Parris at the NJSM.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to give everyone an update on this piece. I took it to the NJSM and we are tentatively labeling it as a piece of a Mosasaur brain case. We compared it to an example found in the 60's and it looked dead-on (I actually thought it was a perfect match but if the good folks at the NJSM tell me to label it as 'tentatviely', that's what I'm going to do!). For me, this is a pretty exciting find! 

:) 

mosjaw6.jpg

mosjaw17gd.jpg