Kem Kem toe

Aurelius

I may have purchased this bone whilst drunk, for reasons that I cannot fully explain. Is it possible to say anything about it, other than that it's a toe bone? Thank you.

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice pickup for being in a druken stuper :D  at least part of the brain was functional.  All we can say its from an indeterminate theropod probably from Digit III,  phalanx  I or 2

• I found this Informative 2

Better than most things people end up with after being intoxicated. 

Actually, better than most things I pick up sober. Nice bone:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

For what you paid for it, I think that was a great buy. I was actually going to buy it myself and unfortunately forgot about it. Congrats on your purchase!

Yeah you could probably do a lot worse. It looks like it hasn't been tampered with at all. And it's complete too. For now theropod indet. would be a good label. But I think with some digging we might be able to find out more. I think some extra photos from straight angles would help with ID.

Some reference.

Allosaurus foot.

107_4686.thumb.JPG.2e56d4cbd9e9bd5c4439842bf6ecde3b.JPG

Mapusaurus left digit III. Scale bar is 10 cm. Mapusaurus is a Carcharodontosaurid so that might be a good reference to find out if your specimen could be a Carcharodontosaurid as well.

FIG-34-Mapusaurus-roseae-n-gen-n-sp-A-B-left-pedal-phalanx-III-1.png.f882e1ff61ff2e392b28764ff7d861c6.png

Acrocanthosaurus right foot from BHI. Another Carcharodontosaurid. Digit II phalanx 2 seems like a nice fit.

5b6806666482c_pesw0.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.0bd3477e7c40d865fd737ba2cd076109.jpg

And good Spinosaur examples are kinda hard to come by. But at least you can compare it to Carcharodontosaurids.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I agree its a nice purchase seen this piece myself will hold out as one will come from the kem kem beds when I'm next there I have a positive feeling about it :ighappy:

Jokes aside it is a good purchase not repair or restoration can be seen in the photographs it does seem to compare well with other carcharadontosaurids.

3 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Forgot to ask what is the size of the scale bar for mapusaurus? @LordTrilobite

10 cm. I've edited my post as well.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice pickup for being in a druken stuper :D  at least part of the brain was functional.  All we can say its from an indeterminate theropod probably from Digit III,  phalanx  I or 2

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it! I entered my bid some days ago, and had completely forgotten about it until I won it last night. I had visions of posting it, and someone saying "ah yes, although it looks like a theropod toe,  in actual fact it's a crocodile's ear". It does look to be in great condition anyway.

12 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yeah you could probably do a lot worse. It looks like it hasn't been tampered with at all. And it's complete too. For now theropod indet. would be a good label. But I think with some digging we might be able to find out more. I think some extra photos from straight angles would help with ID.

Thanks very much for the references; very interesting! I'd assumed that it was unlikely to actually be carch, but I'll post some straight-on photos when it arrives.

I actually think it has some possibility to being a carch but again it might be hard to fully work out.