“Mosasaur” Skull - Real or Fake?

Narwabicorn

Bought this skull a couple years ago at a gem show. It seemed that the seller wasn’t even sure what it was themself, but claimed it might be a mosasaur skull. It was the only one they had and the rest of the stuff they sold was teeth from North Africa such as Carcharodontosaurus and Spinosaurus teeth. There are some parts that make it look real to me but if it is real, I’m not sure what it would be from. 

CBEB7F3D-C1E7-4248-B1BF-7CF4385221A2.thumb.jpeg.0f52b9d49b3953ce4dd4f7b988855b22.jpeg

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

they were trying to make a crocodile skull. They failed miserably.

Fake except for the teeth, which are probably mosasaur.

Yeah, teeth are definitely Mosasaur. Well I guess it’s still a cool skull to look at. Maybe I’ll have more luck in the future. 

14 minutes ago, Narwabicorn said:

Yeah, teeth are definitely Mosasaur. Well I guess it’s still a cool skull to look at. Maybe I’ll have more luck in the future. 

Post any future pieces here before You buy and We will help You to avoid fakes.

By the way-- Welcome to TFF!

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I fully agree with our dear friend Tony.

I've seen many fakes, but this is one of the worst I have ever seen. Complete skull of Mosasaur can cost a lot, but very expensive, so it is often better settle for a good piece that may be small, but at least it is genuine and very nice for a good display on the shelf. Even more so if accompanied by an explanatory paper on the morphology of the cranial fragment you have. As an example, this fragment that I have deposited in my private collection, which I consider a good piece, is 100% genuine and very beautiful for display.

image.png.4d03ca302bb9bb757d888881e2169d73.png

image.png.498d7d44e1be9da20ab8af7dbd23bb8e.png

We will always be willing to help with your future purchases. Welcome to TFF and receive hugs here from your friend from Argentina! :D

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Welcome to TFF! Mosasaur jaws are faked so much, it’s crazy. What’s crazier is how many people buy fakes and never find out that they aren’t real. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

A Mosocroc. Thats a first.  and what these guys have mentioned.  Try and get help here first before purchasing.  and good luck

RB

Nothing to do with mosasaurs besides the teeth. This is a sculpted fake croc skull with a few random pieces of bone here and there.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

Ha-ha! A bogus croc skull with mosasaur teeth. Awesome.

Yes, and most of the mandible is carved out of sandstone or so....:headscratch::doh!:

11 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Yes, and most of the mandible is carved out of sandstone or so....:headscratch::doh!:

Sorry, but I do not see a mandible (lower jaw) on the op's piece.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 8/12/2018 at 8:03 PM, Narwabicorn said:

There is some redemption in this piece. If you could find a way to remove the real teeth from the bogus skull you will be left with a nice collection of Mosasaur teeth!:yay-smiley-1:

46 minutes ago, ynot said:

Sorry, but I do not see a mandible (lower jaw) on the op's piece.

The area below the teeth - there's left some boney parts, the rest is just matrix...