Fossil from Missouri

Slyck

This is my first fossil I need help on. Or maybe it isn't a fossil. I sent a picture to someone knowledgable in this area and he suggested this might be a psuedo fossil or concretion. I thought I would get a second opinion from you guys. I found this at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri in a wooded area not far from the water. Even if it isnt a fossil, I love this rock, especially the sparkly bits.

20180816_093557.png

20180816_093451.png

20180816_093124.png

Welcome to TFF!

Need a couple of tests to see what it is, but it is not a fossil.

Can You scratch a knife with it?

Does it fizz when You drip some vinegar on it? 

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Try the white sparkly bits first then the red matrix. 

To see if the white stuff is calcite or quartz.  If it fizzes it's calcite.

Looks like an iron rich breccio-conglomerate to me, with quartz or calcite veins. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Slyck said:

I can do those, sure. Am I doing it directly the cone shaped part or just next to it?

On the whiter part.

Please let us know what the results are.

Thank you all for your patience! I'm supposed to be working so it took me a little extra time to do the tests. Nothing seemed to fizz at all. I tried a few conservative drops, then ended up spilling vinegar all over it. I used a knife to scratch at the red part and a dust came off. It had a iron odor which makes sense based on the posts. I searched for breccio conglomerate and have a rudimentary understanding. So I'm guessing that cone shaped part is just a broken stone instead of a dinosaur tooth or Native American trinket (which is the prevailing theory among the kids. ;)20180816_150819.thumb.jpg.ee72b6400ef6773ab5432cafc86e4f64.jpg

20180816_150521.jpg

I'm sorry for getting that test backwards! Yes, I just tried and the white part made some scratches on the knife blade.

Just now, Slyck said:

I'm sorry for getting that test backwards! Yes, I just tried and the white part made some scratches on the knife blade.

No problem, the order does not matter.

If it does not fizz and will scratch a knife blade it is most likely quartz.

There seen to be some features along the bottom. Looks like Mississippian matrix but only guessing. Worn cystoid?

Inked20180816_150521.jpg.cb32bc1f8d860f7a250d275c096210c6_LI.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Is it me, or does it look parts of the one rock look like they're overlapping? Almost like the petals on a rose bud? 

20180816_150521.jpg.cb32bc1f8d860f7a250d275c096210c6.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I believe Lake of the Ozarks is predominantly Ordovician; a lot of chert there in my experience.

So, no dinosaur tooth!;)

That oblong object is very curious, though.

Let's see if we an scare this guy up! @Indy

1 hour ago, Slyck said:

So I'm guessing that cone shaped part is just a broken stone instead of a dinosaur tooth or Native American trinket (which is the prevailing theory among the kids. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Steve

First, thanks for all of your help far! It is fun trying to solve this mystery. I took some pictures with it damp to help show more detail. It appears to be smiling at me! Should I attempt to clean this up better? Also, I read somewhere that it doesn't take millions of years for an object to become mineralized. I hope I'm not wasting everyone's time over some antique litter.

20180817_130051.png

3.jpg

2.jpg