What could this be?

meatloaf42

Hello everyone! I found this thing in Estonia, near Ohessaare by the sea. Hopefully someone will be able to identify itE. If you need more information or better photos, just tell and I'll try my best to provide them ;)

IMG_20180821_174107.jpg

IMG_20180821_174218.jpg

IMG_20180821_174353.jpg

I would say crinoid stem piece. Nice find, and welcome to the forum. :)

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree with Kane, though I'll point out that there is also a chance it could be a piece of a straight-shelled (orthoconic) nautiloid.  I'll note that the second photo shows a smooth face to the boundary between segments, which would be typical of a septum between chambers of a nautilod.  The face between crinoid stem segments usually has radiating ridges as the segments articulate (bend) relative to one another and the ridges are attachment sites for muscles/ligaments that hold the stem together.  Also there is a dark somewhat circular patch in the middle of the surface that might be where the siphuncle goes through the septa.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

I'm thinking maybe an orthocone cephalopod fragment. Crinoids typically have a prominent axial canal, and this looks rather solid. I'm not seeing a siphuncle, but it may be hidden below the matrix.

• I found this Informative 2

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"