Quick VT trilobite hunt!

Miocene_Mason

I’ve been on vacation in the northeast, and I pestered my parents till I got to fossil hunt a few times. All those years of honing my complaining skills payed off! 

Anyway, I’m doing these reports out of order, but I’ll start with my last one. I went to a site suggested by the amazingly generous and knowledgeable @Cluros . It is crown point formation, and is one of the many islands. The site had a dark shale that was mainly unfossiliferous that I searched through a bit confused for twenty minutes or so. Then I found my first trilobite cross section in a hard limestone or dolomite. After that, the hunt was on!

for about fourth five minutes(I was only permitted an hour to hunt) I searched an eroding bank and the stones which were pouring off it. Strangely enough, whereas many Paleozoic sites are full of brachiopods with the occasional trilobite, the trend is reversed here with trilobite pieces being one of the more common fossils. I ended up not finding any beautiful or even prep worthy specimens, not because they aren’t there but because of my limited time and unkeen eyes. I did find some sizable fragments though, including my largest trilobite to date!

Here are my finds, please correct me on any incorrect IDs. This might take a while:

monster partial trilo! For me this things massive, I love this guy:wub:

B035A68D-0375-4563-9939-9E436DD02578.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Worn roller, with more bits.

6B0617B4-C432-4502-8015-6A5C65754D0B.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This rock has two inarticulate brachiopods and a nice trilobite cross section

C5651840-C593-4093-9AA2-39504D30604A.jpeg

8FFA3B6B-916A-4B00-A7D0-9A0CBBB2D30F.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Heartbreaker, in ventral position on a big rock. Looks like it would be beautiful, Black, and shiny. Probably a bit beat up though.

49592B6B-7B53-4053-B902-68FD31416746.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hash on big trilo-but, as with the other big ones I’m assuming Isotelus.

9F65B6D1-5432-4616-A3AB-263B2C22FBC0.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

769DD368-528A-4927-A3E8-48A69FC0C761.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Partial big nautiloid with huge hash at the bottom which features a nice Flexicalymene  glabella.

5378D7C3-16FC-4A46-807E-1BDDAB9600B5.jpeg

B0C850FC-0C09-4E02-846E-50DAB3EF0F0B.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

C7C46DB8-831E-4AE7-AA2A-4F1EA5F17FB6.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Second one that’s a bit annoying, cross section with easy to see “skin”  the rock ends not long after so it’s a very small piece of trilo

6658357C-C400-447D-BF50-D12A3781CE81.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

And I think that’s all that’s worth showing. Thanks for reading!

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Thanks for posting a great hunt.

Thanks! Great hunt for me, I’ve yet to find a trilobite in MD.

7 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Nice finds, thanks for sharing! 

Thanks! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

These are fantastic finds!

I did my first trilobite hunt at Penn-Dixie in NY recently, and I kept feeling like my eyes are trained for shark teeth on a beach! It's such a different fossil-hunting experience! You did far, far better than I did! Even without finding a whole trilobite, these are awesome finds! Thank you so much for sharing! 

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds (especially for the time you were given), you really don't see a lot from Vermont on the Forum but there are fossils to be found along Lake Champlain. It's where I went on my first fossil hunt when I was ten years old and found some cool trilo-bits. Boy does time fly!

28 minutes ago, Littlefoot said:

These are fantastic finds!

I did my first trilobite hunt at Penn-Dixie in NY recently, and I kept feeling like my eyes are trained for shark teeth on a beach! It's such a different fossil-hunting experience! You did far, far better than I did! Even without finding a whole trilobite, these are awesome finds! Thank you so much for sharing! 

Thanks! It is definitely a different art! This isn’t my first trilo hunt, though I’ve only ever found pieces. They are also common here. Cluros came the day before and found multiple complete ones and left some big things for me (very kindly) and of course I glazed right over them! I’ve never been to penn dixie regrettablely. I gotta get to Penn dixie at some point soon! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, PaleoNoel said:

Nice finds (especially for the time you were given), you really don't see a lot from Vermont on the Forum but there are fossils to be found along Lake Champlain. It's where I went on my first fossil hunt when I was ten years old and found some cool trilo-bits. Boy does time fly!

I’ve learned Vermont’s actually pretty fossiliferous if you know where to look, of course I don’t do it was great to have someone help me out. I will be back someday! 

So cool you got your first fossil hunt in Vermont! Few can say that! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’ve learned Vermont’s actually pretty fossiliferous if you know where to look, of course I don’t do it was great to have someone help me out. I will be back someday! 

So cool you got your first fossil hunt in Vermont! Few can say that! 

True, it's among the closest options for fossil hunting living in the seacoast of New Hampshire (a state nearly devoid of fossils) and it was a solid place to get a taste of what would eventually be an addiction lol.

Great finds :trilosurprise: Congrats and thanks for sharing :)

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Really nice finds.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Very nice finds! Vermont has been a long time hiking/vacation spot for me. One of these day's I'll have to dig a little deeper into the fossil beds up there :trilosurprise:

Looks like You did good for such a short time hunting.

Parents just do not understand the tribulations of fossil hunting. Only an hour hunt time is like getting sent to bed without dinner.

Thanks for sharing.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like You did good for such a short time hunting.

Parents just do not understand the tribulations of fossil hunting. Only an hour hunt time is like getting sent to bed without dinner.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Tis something I have said many times! However, I’ll take some hunting over no hunting. My mom had fallen asleep so I probably could have stretched my luck but decided against it. Angry basque mother is a wrath like no other:D

1 hour ago, Bguild said:

Very nice finds! Vermont has been a long time hiking/vacation spot for me. One of these day's I'll have to dig a little deeper into the fossil beds up there :trilosurprise:

Thanks! I suggest you do, certainly hard to find but the rewards are sweet! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, belemniten said:

Great finds :trilosurprise: Congrats and thanks for sharing :)

Thank you!

3 hours ago, DanKurek said:

Nice finds! 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Really nice finds.

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason