Having a hard time IDing this Fossil

Nylatay

Maybe @Nylatay should contact Bret Buskirk and Herb Meyer and show them her specimen?  It would be cool if there were parallel discoveries of previously unreported fauna.....

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

44 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

According to the "Friends of the Florissant Fossil Beds Newsletter"- PDF that Nylatay posted above they have been found there now

Apparently it hasn't been officially published?...

I was not aware of this Florissant Newsletter discovery, it is difficult to publish based on an isolated specimen. 

Hopefully they will find more specimens and the peer reviewed literature will reflect this update in the near future.  

That find is exceedingly rare, however the OP post is from Douglas Pass and does not conform well with Ginkgo.

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

38 minutes ago, piranha said:

I was not aware of this Florissant Newsletter discovery, it is difficult to publish based on an isolated specimen. 

Hopefully they will find more specimens and the peer reviewed literature will reflect this update in the near future.  

That find is exceedingly rare, however the OP post is from Douglas Pass and does not conform well with Ginkgo.

Just wanted you to be aware of it.  :fistbump:

I think your ID is the ticket!

:) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 8/24/2018 at 2:01 PM, Walt said:

Maybe @Nylatay should contact Bret Buskirk and Herb Meyer and show them her specimen?  It would be cool if there were parallel discoveries of previously unreported fauna.....

Should I do that?

Just as a followup I was curious about the single leaf find and whether any newer Ginkgo finds had been made since 2008 in the Florissant. I sent an email to the National Monument site and Dr. H. Meyer ( Paleontologist,  Florissant Fossil Beds Nat. Mon) graciously responded and confirmed that the leaf found in 2008 is still the only one known from Florrisant. I asked him about any pubs about it and he advised that the only published reference was a mention in Peter Crane's book "Ginkgo: The Tree that Time Forgot" (Yale Univ. Press).Since then the first Ginkgo pollen from the Florissant is reported in a paper by J Bouchal on p.5 in the following: 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292213527_Pollen_and_spores_of_the_uppermost_Eocene_Florissant_Formation_Colorado_a_combined_light_and_scanning_electron_microscopy_study

He also commented that the unknown presented here by Nylatay showed no evidence of dichotomous venation, which would be expected in Ginkgo. 

I learned quite a bit from this thread even though we wandered into another collecting area. Thanks Scott, Tim, Walt and Nylatay and others! I've always been curious about the crazy Ginkgo genus...

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

26 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

...Dr. H. Meyer ( Paleontologist,  Florissant Fossil Beds Nat. Mon) graciously responded and confirmed that the leaf found in 2008 is still the only one known from Florrisant...

...Since then the first Ginkgo pollen from the Florissant is reported in a paper by J Bouchal on p.5 in the following:.. 

...He also commented that the unknown presented here by Nylatay showed no evidence of dichotomous venation, which would be expected in Ginkgo...

According to my Ginkgo Guru, the singular pollen specimen is more rare than the leaf.  Thanks for sharing the comments from Herb Meyer. :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 1 year later...

Hey guys! I keep coming back and reading through the comments on this. I have not frame displayed this yet, even though I think it is awesome cool, because I still do not know for sure what it is? 
Most thought Ginkgo, but the post above says no. Any ideas how I might still figure out an id on this? <3

On 8/24/2018 at 9:23 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Neither a rugose coral nor a bryozoan are likely to be found in an Eocene freshwater lake deposit.

My first impression is of a partial winged seed (samara) or flower petal.  The venation is more consistent with the latter.

Don

Hey Don! I started looking at winged seeds and found this: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Seeds-of-Manifera-talaris-gen-et-sp-nov-A-D-Functionally-single-winged-seeds-E-L_fig6_265165338
Look at image "L"
I thought it might be a partial of one of these, but on more research, the venation is not right! >.<
Still looking! =)