Megs inlaid with pyrite?

JMUFossil

Hey All,

Up to this point I have mostly been personally hunting for megs and whatever other fossils Calvert Cliffs will offer. However recently I have been searching online to purchase a few larger megs that are not possible for me to find.

One thing I noticed is there seems to be a growing number of megs "inlaid with pyrite". It gives the fossil a gold/silver/ appearance. on the enamel. These megs are not typically cheap or small. There are many 5 and 6 inch megs with pyrite and I see some selling for $1,000 USD +.

My question is: nothing about the "inlaid with pyrite" is natural, right? It is essentially "restoration", like polishing?

And second, to each their own, but are people paying a premium for this "look"? Or is it mainly a way to restore/disguise damaged teeth? If the megs are selling then good for the vendors however I understand restoring or even polishing teeth (as long as the vendor is upfront). But I just found the pyrite be an odd practice in the world of megs. Thanks!

I don't think you can inlay pyrite into shark teeth. :headscratch:

You may be able to polish attached/agglutinated  pyrite, or polish to a layer showing pyrite. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

21 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Never seen this before, do you have any pictures of such?

IMG_0229.jpg        83c1604f810d897e487bdf876656de79_large.jpg

IMG_3441-1_large.jpg   Meg_with_pyrite-1_grande.jpg

I suppose there could be some gold-leaf application involved here. :headscratch:  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is my impression that this is not a natural pyrite occurrence. I see these offered for sale and described as "inlayed" (sic). While that language is not absolutely precise, I read it as man-made. The teeth are also obviously polished. 

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

What a waste of a nice tooth. Maybe if you are really into your fossils and hip hop it is a real beauty. 

The pictures above are what I was referencing - thanks  for posting them. One more is attached to this post for good measure.

In my opinion, I do not think it is good practice for them to use the word "inlay" and leave it at that. Inlaid during the fossilization process or after the fact? Although perhaps obvious to many on this forum, I do not think they are being upfront that the tooth is modified. Just my two cents.

meg1.jpg

I bet they use it to cover up damage. I’d rather have a broken meg, these don’t look good to me.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

51 minutes ago, ynot said:

They went from a poor fossil to a bad piece of art.

Lol well said.

I appreciate the dinged and worn large megs because at least I can afford them!

I am in the minority here I think because I don’t have a Meg but a small one would be nice without the pyrite disease of course. :)

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

I am in the minority here I think because I don’t have a Meg but a small one would be nice without the pyrite disease of course. :)

You might have to wait till Christmas young man!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I think a more accurate term would be "pyrite-infiltrated" or "infiltrated by pyrite."  I have heard of teeth showing pyrite in the cracks of the enameloid.  It appears some enterprising individuals are grinding into teeth with damaged lingual crown faces to attempt to make the "bug" a "feature" instead.  By exposing the pyrite and polishing it you get a tooth with a different and cleaner look - a new way to sell a beat-up tooth.

28 minutes ago, siteseer said:

I think a more accurate term would be "pyrite-infiltrated" or "infiltrated by pyrite."  I have heard of teeth showing pyrite in the cracks of the enameloid.  It appears some enterprising individuals are grinding into teeth with damaged lingual crown faces to attempt to make the "bug" a "feature" instead.  By exposing the pyrite and polishing it you get a tooth with a different and cleaner look - a new way to sell a beat-up tooth.

On 8/24/2018 at 2:39 PM, JMUFossil said:

The pictures above are what I was referencing - thanks  for posting them. One more is attached to this post for good measure.

In my opinion, I do not think it is good practice for them to use the word "inlay" and leave it at that. Inlaid during the fossilization process or after the fact? Although perhaps obvious to many on this forum, I do not think they are being upfront that the tooth is modified. Just my two cents.

meg1.jpg

Hi There,

I've bought many times from this seller referenced in the image provided and he is 100% up front about the process. In my mind the first time I read the description I understood this was created by an artist for a specific buyer that thinks this is attractive.  Not my cup of tea at all and wicked expensive, but I wouldn't misrepresent what is being sold or described. The listing makes that clear in my opinion.

I'd have to take out a second mortgage on my house to afford one ....   :trilosurprise: but I like my teeth untouched .. if possible.

To Quote"

100% Real Megalodon Shark Tooth with a polished blade to 

increase visual appeal that some collectors desire with gold pyrite inlay.  I only 

get a handful of these a year and they are usually quick sellers.  The inlay is 

done by an artist  who sells most of her work on the Beverly hills high 

end auction houses.  You can see these selling there from time to time for high

end money….much more than I am asking.  

100% REAL Megalodon Tooth….and this one is sure to stand out.  

ie. This table has an 'Inlay' of crushed Turquoise .. which I believe is a similar process used above.

ccf1e34d5e41e7810a3e4d8ad9a932b6.thumb.jpg.f748915bf32d811b05a54433b1e6f3e9.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

... and personally ... if I'd go with anything from Beverly Hills it would be instead the "Black Shark Tooth Pendant" .. with white gold, black diamonds, and a real shark tooth !

:ighappy:

shark_tooth_black.thumb.png.cea161a64b39e20c7c16d475e2e67e4b.png

Just now, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

... and personally ... if I'd go with anything from Beverly Hills it would be instead the "Black Shark Tooth Pendant" .. with white gold, black diamonds, and a real shark tooth !

The little black shark tooth times classic.:D

2 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Yeah!  Pyrite is soooo 2010 :)

• I found this Informative 2

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

High fashion indeed .... mainstream even !!  haha I need to get in on this action ...... I bet those things are cheap.

givenchy4.jpg.382ac43f0ae622115c72a62e0cb9f502.jpg

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

Yeah!  Pyrite is soooo 2010 :)

4 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

The little black shark tooth times classic.:D

They look so thrilled to be modeling them..

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury