_scribbl3

Welcome to the forum!

If it possible for a bit brighter picture and tell us where exactly you found it?

Imo, it looks like a white shark tooth Carcharodon hastalis based on how it looks on the given pictures.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I took the liberty of brightening, enlarging, and cropping your photos.  

692FB657-1910-43E1-B007-6C98DBE8B617.thumb.jpeg.441064bce8f0d5aabf8f0317ee09de17.jpeg    F6DD264B-B80B-4099-93D0-A8DE8906FB8D.thumb.jpeg.da6a53e82755c57c2161953952a3272b.jpeg

F59F8A74-346F-4358-94E7-A6FFC62E7794.thumb.jpeg.79283f7b3949728e78a0a5ee824a0bb4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I still think this might be a Carcharodon hastalis.

Can you also state exactly where you found this and it also possible for a picture of the side profile?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Looking C. hastalis to me, though considering the amount of wear it could’ve been C. carcharias. I am not familiar with the site so I don’t know if both are present or if one is more common.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

28 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Looking C. hastalis to me, though considering the amount of wear it could’ve been C. carcharias. I am not familiar with the site so I don’t know if both are present or if one is more common.

2 hours ago, _scribbl3 said:

I found this tooth at point a dam, is it a baby meg? I really can’t tell..

Hi there, these exposures at this location are much older .... Point A Dam in Andalusia Alabama is an Eocene bone bed exposure of the Lower Lisbon formation .... ie. Think worn Carcharocles auriculatus, if anything in that vein.  A great, great, great (?) grandfather to the meg.

Cheers,

Brett

8 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hi there, these exposures at this location are much older .... Point A Dam in Andalusia Alabama is an Eocene bone bed exposure of the Lower Lisbon formation ....

Cheers,

Brett

Well shucks. Could have sworn it was a C. hastalis. Could be Xiphodolamia ensis?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Might be a  Macrorhizodus praecursor which are found at  " point a dam, andalucia, alabama "  but it is really hard to say for sure with the damage to the tooth.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, _scribbl3 said:

andalucia alabama

Ah, because that area is Eocene like Brett said, it cannot be C. hastalis although it very much looked it one.

Here’s a side profile-

Can you take a picture of it at the straight side? I would like to check for protuberance, but I need a straight side profile.

I have doubts that it could be an auriculatus or Xiphodolamia ensis. There seems to be not much of a protuberance on the lingual side of the root, which I think every auriculatus teeth has. Also there is no bourlette (although I think some auriculatus teeth may lack, but I'm not sure) and the root seems too boxy. 

Might be simply missing some examples, but I've never seen a Xiphodolamia ensis tooth perpendicular and symmetrical (not slanted) and the root of the tooth in question seems to be too small compared to Xiphodolamia ensis.

I agree with my fellow ninja-poster :P  Marco S. that this could be an upper praecursor tooth.

10 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

I've never seen a Xiphodolamia ensis tooth perpendicular and symmetrical (not slanted)

Here’s one from PhatFossils, also the root is highly worn. I agree it could be Macrorhizodus/Isurus praecursor but I think it is to worn to tell either way.

0B565D6E-66EF-4725-B921-FF18E9714D95.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Is this what you meant by “straight side profile”?

Close, but that is at an oblique angle.

A side shot should look like this...

DSCF4215.JPG.cf12f7b619dfe3d4463b47e06e204add.JPG

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.