Please ID mollusks

Coryander

Please ID species.

Found it in Algarve, Portugal (miocene, I guess).

I would also ask you to please advise me how to preserve it. Shall I varnish it?

Thank you.

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0839.thumb.JPG.7d801a999a2673034b02a5abbc7e2e62.JPG

Edited by Coryander
missing information

Great finds! I can not ID these nice specimens but I can mention these are gastropods, not mollusks as your title implies. 

Good Hunting,

Mike

8 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Great finds! I can not ID these nice specimens but I can mention these are gastropods, not mollusks as your title implies. 

Good Hunting,

Mike

I just wanted to chime in that gastropods are indeed molluscs - the Phylum is Mollusca and the Class is Gastropoda.  This phylum also includes Class Bivalvia and Class Cephalopoda, among others.

As for identification of the gastropods - I have no idea!!! :P

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Another case of you learn something every day!!!

Thanks for the education @Monica

You're very welcome! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Yup, these are gastropod steinkerns! Unfortunately, just like with bivalve steinkerns, they're pretty much impossible to narrow down to species. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

You are finding some very interesting fossils. Your area seems to have a good bit of professional literature concerning local paleontology. If I may suggest a method of research please google "fossil mollusca, Algarve, Portugal". this will give the following result:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fossil+mollusca%2C+Algarve%2C+Portugal&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Once you start perusing the literature and images you will encounter names and terms you are unfamiliar with. At this point you can further use google to find definitions. If the papers have lists of mollusks you can further google individual names if they don't show images for the mollusks.

There are many faunas defined by steinkerns alone though most neogene deposits such as yours also have shells represented in the literature. Here is a link to a cretaceous publication to illustrate that steinkerns can be used for identification. Your fossils are not cretaceous of course but this is a good example of steinkern identification. The plates are in the back.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/enviroed/oldpubs/bulletin61-I.pdf

We may have had this discussion previously concerning steinkerns. If so forgive my repetition. Am enjoying your posts!

• I found this Informative 1