Mystery Fish

FrozenFlame

So I saw this whilst browsing the auction site, and I have zero idea what it is, with no detail to the location or formation that it was found in. I can't say I've ever seen a fish like this one, and without knowing where it was from, even fewer, but maybe the almighty wisdom of TFF might have an idea?

s-l1600.jpg

Any indication as to its size?

The matrix looks a lot like Green River Formation. Maybe it looks so strange because the skull is somewhat crushed and distorted.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

looks like a Knightia eoceana or a Diplomystus from the green river formation in wyoming. but lets see what the admins think ;).

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Any indication as to its size?

The matrix looks a lot like Green River Formation. Maybe it looks so strange because the skull is somewhat crushed and distorted.

yes, size would definetly help. my thinking is knightia cause im not seeing alot of diplomystus there.

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

The matrix is 11cm X 8cm. So quite a large fish actually. 

It does look very similar to the Green River Formation, but because the skull is so distorted, I can't make out the species. 

even so, its definetly something from the green river. also if your planning on buying this go ahead. but there are alot more green formation fish fossils out there that are complete and for cheap. also dont worry about them being faked, these fish are very abundant and not worth faking.

3 minutes ago, FrozenFlame said:

The matrix is 11cm X 8cm. So quite a large fish actually. 

It does look very similar to the Green River Formation, but because the skull is so distorted, I can't make out the species. 

yeah... i cant make it out either, but like i said its either knightia eoceana, diplomystus. or it could also be a knightia alta. (i.e the diffrence between k eoceana and k alta is that they alta have a bigger body).

1 minute ago, MRfossilMISTER said:

even so, its definetly something from the green river. also if your planning on buying this go ahead. but there are alot more green formation fish fossils out there that are complete and for cheap. also dont worry about them being faked, these fish are very abundant and not worth faking.

Not worried about being faked, more wondering if it was a common fish, or something rarer at a relative bargain. Would much prefer a full specimen of course! 

Just now, FrozenFlame said:

Not worried about being faked, more wondering if it was a common fish, or something rarer at a relative bargain. Would much prefer a full specimen of course! 

Both Diplomystus and Knightia are very common in the Green River fm. (the most common fish varieties you'll find). I wouldn't buy it if the price was too high, but certainly a nice piece to obtain if it's inexpensive. I personally think it would be worth the purchase (if it's not out of the budget) if you're starting a fossil collection or buying the fish as a gift for someone who is interested in paleontology.

the huge fish is a diplomystus. the stingray is a heliobatis. and the little fish are knightia eoceana.

2 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

Both Diplomystus and Knightia are very common in the Green River fm. (the most common fish varieties you'll find). I wouldn't buy it if the price was too high, but certainly a nice piece to obtain if it's inexpensive. I personally think it would be worth the purchase (if it's not out of the budget) if you're starting a fossil collection or buying the fish as a gift for someone who is interested in paleontology.

he is right, but the diplomystus is a bit more rare then knightia is. i.e you cant usually find them fore the same price as knightia.

1 minute ago, MRfossilMISTER said:

just for refrence,

138-3827_img_std.jpg

Okay, that's just showing off! :envy:

I am building a small pile of fossil fish, and already have a Knightia and Diplomystus, so I'll guess I'll figure out once the time starts running out on the auction to see if it's a cheap buy or not. 

all i have is a cute little knightia. also i got that pic from google, so its not mine.

but i do plan on buying me diplomystus once i buy me some cute little trilos :trilowalk:

It's  definitely a small Diplomystus dentatus from the Green River formation. 

See comparison below.  Nice little fish fossil. :) 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg-vert.jpg

Compared to a Knightia:

15335072689_3dd252f486_b.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tim nailed this one.  Ive prepped out hundreds of both these Knitia's and diplo's.  Easy for me to see that it is a Diplo with some messed up head parts.  Good luck

RB