holdinghistory

Quick 18 inch layer prep I just finished. Decided to do this one with a scalpel instead of scribes because some of the fish was pretty flaky and I was afraid that the air  from the scribe would blow pieces off even if I was careful with the tip. Being an Amphiplaga I didn't want to risk that. Took about 30 minutes and was a relaxing project. 

amphi before.jpg

Awesome job, Nathan. 
Thanks for posting this. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice prep work you did :) Thanks for sharing

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Looks great @holdinghistory. I believe that this is actually from the Split Fish Layer. Color of matrix and specimen as well as the preservation of the specimen is what is making me think this. That actually makes your work even more impressive due to the difficulty of detailed preparation of little fish in that layer.

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Looks great @holdinghistory. I believe that this is actually from the Split Fish Layer. Color of matrix and specimen as well as the preservation of the specimen is what is making me think this. 

Yes, this is a split layer fish. I could be wrong, but I think I have only seen amphi's come from the split layer. I think this one was from the American Fossil Quarry in Kemmerer.