Good morning everyone!  I finally got around to photographing a mystery in my collection and was hoping to get some opinions.  I did my best to take some photos but the iPad only goes so far.  The small tooth, probably just another mosasaur and I have found many.  But here is the BUT; the tooth shape is not so much conical but oval, it has feint serrations and a cutting edge on only one side.  It is a bit worn.... it was found in a location that has produced dinosaur teeth, it is from the black creek formation in North Carolina.  The larger tooth in the picture I put in there for comparison is definitely mosasaur and I found them both about ten feet and six years apart.  So what do y’all think?  Thanks for any input in advance.  I am by no means an expert and really don’t know enough about Dinos or mososaurs but to lump them all together...

31331C97-6006-4A89-9A66-08E3BE337790.jpeg

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Looks like a  indeterminate Tyrannosaurid dentary tooth, pretty cool find.  Could be Appalachiosaurus but Brownstein (2018) indicates that there are two Tyrannosaurids are present in that fauna

• I found this Informative 2

Awesome! Love the east coast dinosaur teeth.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks like a  indeterminate Tyrannosaurid dentary tooth, pretty cool find.  Could be Appalachiosaurus but Brownstein (2018) indicates that there are two Tyrannosaurids are present in that fauna

@Troodon thanks!  A couple people referenced you for ID help.  Question, what is a dentary tooth?  I’m pretty excited about this!  The day I found it My glasses kept fogging up so I just put it in the bag and kept going.  

That reminds me of my Platecarpus tooth from Barbour/Russell County, Alabama though it isn't as recurved as yours, nor is my mesial edge as defined as yours.

When you said there's cutting edge on only one side, I presume it only has a mesial edge?

Do your other mosasaur teeth have serrations? I am not studied in NJ mosasaurs, but I know that some mosasaur teeth have tiny serrations.

20180830_002427.jpg

20180830_002525.jpg

20180830_002820.jpg

20180830_002852.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Interesting, missed the comment that there only a mesial edge.  Can you post a photo of the distal edge.  @-Andy- how recurved are those teeth? 

Can you also take a close up of the serrations

I kept my tooth, but this picture is a good gauge of the curvature.

20180830_002820.thumb.jpg.4269b3398b05c88efb7b37ff033a88fd.jpg

His tooth is definitely more recurved than mine, but not out of the bounds of a mosasaur tooth.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

@-Andy-, my eyes aren’t that good but I don’t see serrations on yours, are they there just faint?  All my other mosasaur teeth have the cutting edge but this one has serrations and they are pretty noticeable.  @Troodon  you want a picture of my tooth or @-Andy-‘s?

1 minute ago, MikeDOTB said:

@-Andy-, my eyes aren’t that good but I don’t see serrations on yours, are they there just faint?  All my other mosasaur teeth have the cutting edge but this one has serrations and they are pretty noticeable.  @Troodon  you want a picture of my tooth or @-Andy-‘s?

Yours both edges and a closeup of them

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Yours both edges and a closeup of them

This is tough, cant get the focus but here are some...

898175C8-A7C5-4106-A238-A7C360BD4238.jpeg

DF176C51-474C-4452-80BC-DC931D09793D.jpeg

80FBE7AF-438D-4E2F-89D0-13B79FF7FE80.jpeg

Black Creek is a group, not a formation. It consists of the Tar Heel, Bladen and Donoho Creek Formations. Tar Heel being the oldest and Donoho Creek the youngest. Ranging from the early Campanian to the early Maastritchtian of the Cretaceous. Most dinosaur material from N.C. comes out of either the Tar Heel or the Bladen Formations. 

Very nice tooth, having a good idea of where this tooth came from; it could be something undescribed from North Carolina as there has been very little research done on NC dino's.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

All three of those formations have Tyrannosaurids reported.

Sorry the images are not useful.  Is the distal edge worn or not present?  Need a good closups of those serrations

The tooth comes from Green Mill Run in Greenville.  So Black Creek group or possible Peedee?  The Who distal edge just isn’t there.  The only edge is the “This end towards dinner” end, would that be the mesial?

The outside curve is the mesial.  especially if there is no inside edge its not dinosaurian especially if its from Green Mill Run

There are Tarheel fossils in Green Mill Run but not the formation. The cretaceous lag elements there include Squalicorax yangaensis which is early Tarheel (Early Campanian). The base of the Peedee may actually be exposed in the creek bank or bed if there is a clean (no tertiary) belemnite and exogyra cancellata bed. Exogyra cancellata, common in the creek bed, is concentrated at the base of the Peedee elsewhere reworked from the Donoho Creek. Have we seen hadrosaur teeth from GMR? It would be a lot of work to look at all the GMR postings on this forum. Almost as difficult as big brook!;)

The Tarheel is exposed very nearby.

Have seen Mosasaur teeth with fine serrations like on the smaller of the OP and believe they were discussed on this forum previously. Am not saying this is mosasaur just that they sometimes have fine serrations. The base certainly looks like a mosasaur, but have little experience with dino material and would defer to Troodon.

5 hours ago, MikeDOTB said:

Mine have no serrations. However, yours having serrations isn't too unusual either; mosasaur teeth can have serrations.

mosa 2.jpg

mosa 3.jpg

mosa.jpg