Oregon Coast Fossil Bone(?) ID

Crusty_Crab

I found this recently at the base of the cliffs near the Beverly Beach area along the Oregon coast, which I understand is part of the Astoria Formation.

IMG_1769_1.jpg.67699c5bf6ea6a5c05b23e160a1e5341.jpg

My first thought was it was wood but the spongy inner layer indicates the possible endosteum and therefore bone (see left picture).

IMG_1774_1.jpg.5b3affc8217ff860c5b2d956c0d527e9.jpg IMG_1775_1.jpg.9a5272ecb518a3f572c8af1f0325a7b4.jpg

In the pictures above, the cross section of the specimen is on the left and the negative impression is on the right.

IMG_1777_1.jpg.12b773f10d09a939123ca43addada1b2.jpg

In the above picture, the specimen is resting in the negative impression above some carbonized wood remains.

Any help help ID'ing would of course be appreciated. By the way, if this would be of interest to an academic, any contact info would also be appreciated. I have much more precise location information and didn't dig into the cliff where it came from for fear of destabilizing the cliff and having an amateur muck it up.

We are going to need a closer look (larger file) to say much about this piece.

At this resolution one could guess wood cast, root trace, or animal burrow. It is only a rough guess though. Bone, although possible, seems less likely to me.

• I found this Informative 3

Take this for what it is worth;

My first impression is that it may be a cast of wood that rotted away, leaving a void to be filled with sediment.

Its similarities to abundant Carboniferous lycopod fossils lead me to this idea, as does the attendant carbonized residue.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looking at this picture, what indicates the red line might be a burrow, but I'm not sure.

IMG_1777_1.jpg.12b773f10d09a939123ca43addada1b2.jpg.4bd3fd57ea98c3a57d7a6d59c48b2722.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library