Fragment Mammal or Shark Tooth Bone Fossil- Need ID

Bronzviking

I was shark tooth hunting and found this fragment on Casey Key, Florida 9 years ago. I recently went through my stuff and found 3 pieces of Mastodon Tooth Enamel. So I'm not sure if it's too small to ID but has a interesting wood grain pattern with enamel on the top. Can you ID it? Thanks FF!

UkntTooth.jpg

UknTooth2.jpg

UknTooth3.jpg

UknTooth4.jpg

Doesn't look like it is large enough (or distinctively shaped) to be able to assign a probably ID to this one. Does indeed have the right texture for bone but I'm not sure if the shiny layer on one side is actually enamel or something else. I can't quite make out how this would be an enameled surface or an occlusal (chewing) surface of anything I am familiar with. Might possibly be the result of an extra hardened end of a long bone (but merely a guess). Though a fossil, this one may remain an unknown. Out west where dinosaur fossils are possible (none in Florida) this would be fittingly called a "chunk-o-saurus" but here it's merely a chunk-o-something.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

I took the liberty of brightening and cropping your pictures. 

Not really a bone guy, (take with a grain of salt) but it looks more like rock to me. :unsure: 

UkntTooth.thumb.jpg.94085e7d5d39df8e4f563f5af2a5dd50.jpg    UknTooth2.thumb.jpg.dfd0bd9d9ba61c57470f61e8415dcc6e.jpg

UknTooth4.thumb.jpg.f2d222083d77faddd0fc768c73d65a0b.jpg    UknTooth3.thumb.jpg.6fe1770e20374c0a3186cb222db02225.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yeah thought it would be too small and worn. Thanks for looking! Can you ID this tooth I just bought at a show?

DSC07739.JPG

DSC07734.JPG

DSC07735.JPG

Item #1, I am seeing bone and it looks a lot like the mineralization that the bone gets in the "White Sands Deposit" I have dug in here, LOTS of silica replacement.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Thanks Harry! :) What about my fragment on top of page? Can you tell if it is a partial tooth? @Harry Pristis

Sorry, Bronzviking, the first item is nothing I recognize.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for verifying (#1) was bone. I was pretty sure but hard to tell in photos. Where is the "White Sands Deposit" and what do you find there? @caldigger

4 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

Thanks for verifying (#1) was bone. I was pretty sure but hard to tell in photos. Where is the "White Sands Deposit" and what do you find there? @caldigger

Monterey County, California.

It is a western segment if the Temblor Formation that encompasses about a 120 mile stretch of the San Joaquin Valley in central California.

Same animals as Sharktooth Hill, but different depositional environment and preservation.

Dorensigbadges.JPG