E.S.C.O.N.I. Braceville Shaft Mine Trip

Nimravis

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

Thank you. Your nails wouldn’t look right that long anyway Ralph

Well long nails or really nails of any length get in the way when climbing on small holds

1 hour ago, Scylla said:

Great report, felt like being there (except for the lack of sore muscles the next day and my buckets are still empty)

No sore muscles on this end and I agree about the buckets. I am really glad that you enjoyed the report.

3 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Well long nails or really nails of any length get in the way when climbing on small holds

Well, as I said recently in my NSR trip report I think I’m about half marshmallow so I doubt I’ll be doing any rock or cliff climbing.

• I found this Informative 1

What are you dumping there, your rejects or fresh stuff that you've pulled out of the pile?

I notice that when you video things with the camera upright (portrait orientation) the picture is smaller when posted on youtube.

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

What are you dumping there, your rejects or fresh stuff that you've pulled out of the pile?

I notice that when you video things with the camera upright (portrait orientation) the picture is smaller when posted on youtube.

Those are rejects, but actual fossils from multiple Mazon Creek localities.  The more common specimens and stuff that's not preserved as well.  Multiple localities are represented.  Braceville, Pit 11, Pit 4 (Shadow Lakes?), Pit 2, and the Mazon River are the ones I know of.  Some of the material (3 buckets) was provided by @Nimravis.  The rest was from myself and a few other ESCONI members.  We try to do it for each Braceville field trip.  Mostly to show what can be found and to provide fossils for the kids.  With Mazon Creek concretions, unless you use a hammer immediately, there isn't really much instant gratification.  Freeze thaw cycles take a long time... I have a horseshoe crab that was in the container for a couple years!

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

As Rich stated, we were dumping concretions that contained fossils. I dumped stuff from 3 different locations and it is stuff that I did not want, but knew others would like.

Great report, Ralph.  I wish I had been in town for the hunt.  I happened to be up fishing in NW Ontario, and got home late Sunday.  Great to see familiar faces. Duane, Rich, Keith, Maurine, Andy, and others.  I’d be interested in knowing what’s inside that teardrop shaped nod.  That one looks promising, as do all of those rounds you found.  I’m curious to know if “old Richard” was there?  Stats?  I’m guessing you know who I’m talking about.  He loves to chat. Lol.  (Not rich rock).  

Anyway, thanks for sharing your day at the spoil pile with us.  I’m totally jonesing a day with my pickaxe and shovel, now.  Thanks.  Lol.  Shoulda shaved the ole fishing trip a day short. :P   

Anyway, perhaps will have the chance to shake hands on a future Esconi trip.  

Keep us informed on what pops up!

Rob 

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

@Rob Russell - yes it would have been nice if you could have made it. Rich @stats was there and it was nice to meet him. I believe that this may have been the tear drop concretion, but not positive- As you can see, nothing. If that is not it, I may not have opened or it was included in some that I sent to another FF member.

363C8ECF-6AAA-4EAD-AF52-9B482E54F3BA.thumb.jpeg.e098dedde2b187a44159b1c2e6aeb233.jpeg

Wow - what a different way of collecting than I'm used to seeing!  Going up and down these huge hills, collecting nodules to be opened at a later date, crossing your fingers that you find something in each - VERY exciting!!!!!

9 hours ago, Monica said:

Wow - what a different way of collecting than I'm used to seeing!  Going up and down these huge hills, collecting nodules to be opened at a later date, crossing your fingers that you find something in each - VERY exciting!!!!!

Yes it is, but it can be very disappointing when nothing is inside.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:06 PM, Rob Russell said:

Great report, Ralph.  I wish I had been in town for the hunt.  I happened to be up fishing in NW Ontario, and got home late Sunday.  Great to see familiar faces. Duane, Rich, Keith, Maurine, Andy, and others.  I’d be interested in knowing what’s inside that teardrop shaped nod.  That one looks promising, as do all of those rounds you found.  I’m curious to know if “old Richard” was there?  Stats?  I’m guessing you know who I’m talking about.  He loves to chat. Lol.  (Not rich rock).  

Anyway, thanks for sharing your day at the spoil pile with us.  I’m totally jonesing a day with my pickaxe and shovel, now.  Thanks.  Lol.  Shoulda shaved the ole fishing trip a day short. :P   

Anyway, perhaps will have the chance to shake hands on a future Esconi trip.  

Keep us informed on what pops up!

Rob 

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was in KS for Parent's Weekend at KU.  They actually scored 55 points in a football game.   It was against Rutgers, but 55 points is a great score against anyone!

"old Richard"... Hmm... can't say I know who you mean?  Any other clues?  Rich Rock was out of town.  And, Tom Williams didn't make it either.   Lot's of the old guys (heck at this juncture, that might even include me!) like to chat.   Come on out in the Spring!  We were asking about you.

Dude, you need to get out.  By now you're looking at Spring in March 2019 at Pit 11.  The burrs must be out by now.  We made about 5-6 trips out this past Spring.  I was wondering if I'd see you at the river trip.

Cheers,

Rich