Still_human

Could this be a plesiosaur(elasmosaurus) jaw? I tried comparing but it's hard to see the picture of jaws in ideal positions and angles and such. Also, with so many extreme teeth it can be hard to see perfectly in a lot of pictures. 

(Location-wise and all, it could be, this is just about the physical jaw itself)

IMG_7530.PNG

IMG_7532.PNG

IMG_7534.PNG

I actually managed to find that same listing while doing some searching. So the fossil is from Morocco, so it's Zarafasaura oceanis if it is indeed a plesiosaur jaw segment. 

Maybe you could try taking a look at sseth's restoration of a Zafarasaura jaw and see if there's any similarities.

• I found this Informative 2

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

13 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

I actually managed to find that same listing while doing some searching. So the fossil is from Morocco, so it's Zarafasaura oceanis if it is indeed a plesiosaur jaw segment. 

Maybe you could try taking a look at sseth's restoration of a Zafarasaura jaw and see if there's any similarities.

Awesome man, thank you so much! That was a huge help!

The fragment is quite large (about 16cm when looking at the pics at auction site). I would expect a pleasiosaur jaw frament with 5 teeth sockets to be somwhat smaller.

• I found this Informative 1

On 9/12/2018 at 1:37 PM, Flx said:

The fragment is quite large (about 16cm when looking at the pics at auction site). I would expect a pleasiosaur jaw frament with 5 teeth sockets to be somwhat smaller.

That's a good point, i didn't even think about that, thanks! It's a supposed elasmosaurus jaw, so I believe those can even get signicantly larger than this, but I could be totally wrong. I'll have to take a look and see if I can figure that out.

On 9/12/2018 at 1:37 PM, Flx said:

Actually, it's smaller than I was thinking...it's only around 3" from bottom to top of the jaw, so that may not be very big for large elasmosaurs, afterall.

9 hours ago, Still_human said:

Actually, it's smaller than I was thinking...it's only around 3" from bottom to top of the jaw, so that may not be very big for large elasmosaurs, afterall.

Ok, then I was probably looking at the wrong listing. :headscratch:

Just to give a general idea of the size of a large one of our friends:) it's hard to tell exactly the comparative size of its jaws, and it's not necessarily the most scientific way to do it, but i think it's still good enough to make a fair judgement. 

http://www.prehistoric-wildlife.com/species/e/elasmosaurus.html

IMG_7585.JPG

*it still really blows my mind every time I see a comparative size of a really large plesiosaur!

Even though they ARE just "small" fish eaters, its big enough to actually eat a person whole! Or maybe just very close, but still.........YEESH!