Ichthyosaur vertebrae

D.R. Johnson

I've found  these vertebrae on England's Jurassic Coast over a period of fourteen years (I like to think I'd have found more but I only get to visit Lyme Regis once every 2 years) I believe them to all be ichthyosaur vertebra and I was just wondering if everyone agreed. Also the largest one seems more detailed and of a different colour, being a sandy brown rather than black. I was wondering why? I can supply extra pictures of the largest.  

IMG_8748.JPG

14 minutes ago, RyanDye said:

This could use a size reference and better lighting, welcome TFF

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah unfortunately my photography skills arn't great. . . sorry. Here's a better picture of the largest.

IMG_8750.JPG

All look to ichthyosaur vertebra. The variations in shape are due to variations in the position of the body where they come from and to wear from the ocean.

As far as the colour goes it could be as part of the mineralisation process where the fossil colour is different due to more or less minerals or different minerals in the groundwater.

Nice finds and welcome to the forum.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

All look to ichthyosaur vertebra. The variations in shape are due to variations in the position of the body where they come from and to wear from the ocean.

As far as the colour goes it could be as part of the mineralisation process where the fossil colour is different due to more or less minerals or different minerals in the groundwater.

Nice finds and welcome to the forum.

Mike

Thank you for the welcome and the info mike.