Petrified Wood? Or Just A Hunk Of Iron Stained Rock?

kauffy

Heres one thats really puzzeling me...? is it wood, i have never found any wood from the triassic shales of nsw.

The place where i found this i found different flora than i usually do...there was only this hunk and one smaller fragment near by....it is very heavy, very crystalized and does resemble, well to me, a piece of bark, wood fragment.....

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

P1070374.jpg

P1070375.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Guest N.AL.hunter

It could be wood, but hard to tell. I usually find it good to look very closely, ie with a magnifying glass, at the end of the piece to see if any cellular structure is visible or any growth rings visible.

Guest Nicholas
It could be wood, but hard to tell. I usually find it good to look very closely, ie with a magnifying glass, at the end of the piece to see if any cellular structure is visible or any growth rings visible.

I would have to agree, I've seen lots of specimens which look similar to this. However there is a chance it could not be that so I think you should just take a closer look. Maybe try a museum or University to help out.

Guest solius symbiosus

That second pic kind of looks like a sed. structure. However, I find some oxidized siderite logs that look similar in the Penn. coal fields. In any event, it is not "petrified", as that refers to replacement by silicification.

That second pic kind of looks like a sed. structure. However, I find some oxidized siderite logs that look similar in the Penn. coal fields. In any event, it is not "petrified", as that refers to replacement by silicification.

True. However there have been instances of wood preservation in other environments. While most of the wood fiber itself is destroyed, the bark tends to hold up better against decay. We find trace amounts of bark impressions in the siltstones here.

Guest solius symbiosus
True. However there have been instances of wood preservation in other environments. While most of the wood fiber itself is destroyed, the bark tends to hold up better against decay. We find trace amounts of bark impressions in the siltstones here.

Yeah, I have a piece of siderized log from a sandstone that a friend had to got up and tap on to "see" if it was not just a piece of wood. I also have a fairly large (20cmx30cm) piece of Lepidodendron that has undergone coalification and left a beautiful negative of the bark. If I ever get down to my warehouse, I'll grab them, and post some picks.

thanks for all the information everyone, it does have a few layers on the edge (rings)

Im going to go with wood, because I have never seen any other iron oxide rocks like this and it was in a new layer of silty mudstone shale,

I will send a pic to a freind at the museum and see what he has to say.

Cheers!

Chris

yeah i know....i will see what the museum guy says, just never seen rock like this before! ha

hmmmmm even if it isnt wood, still an awesome hunk of mineral!

Hey everyone

i sent a pic to my friend at the museum and he agrees that it is a piece of poorly preserved iron oxidiesed wood,

well there we go... i guess you guys were right!

thanks for all your help!