Dino Egg or a Very Nice AAA-Grade Crab Concretion!

RJB

I had a little bit of extra energy after getting orginizing and repacking and getting ready for my next upcoming trip and went through some of my rocks I just brought back from my last trip to Washington.   When the guy showed me this rock, I knew instantly where it had come from and bought it immediatly!!!   Sorry for my spelling.  This crab concretion is an easy read and has a 99% chance of being a really nice crab.  It should have some amazing color and should not be 'sticky' at all. As for completeness, only time will tell, but most of the crabs from this site, (all closed off now), are usually almost complete?  This is a winter project and winter is just around the corner.  This will be a very exciting rock for me!    Oh, this rock is also the largest ive ever seen from this site too!!!  Measures in at a wopping 6 inches!     But no, not a dino egg.  :)

RB

DSCN1747.JPG

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I had a little bit of extra energy after getting orginizing and repacking and getting ready for my next upcoming trip and went through some of my rocks I just brought back from my last trip to Washington.   When the guy showed me this rock, I knew instantly where it had come from and bought it immediatly!!!   Sorry for my spelling.  This crab concretion is an easy read and has a 99% chance of being a really nice crab.  It should have some amazing color and should not be 'sticky' at all. As for completeness, only time will tell, but most of the crabs from this site, (all closed off now), are usually almost complete?  This is a winter project and winter is just around the corner.  This will be a very exciting rock for me!    Oh, this rock is also the largest ive ever seen from this site too!!!  Measures in at a wopping 6 inches!     But no, not a dino egg.  :)

RB

DSCN1747.JPG

Cool and exciting. Now we have to wait months to see what you reveal with your amazing prep skills. Im

sure it will be amazing.

That info is informative to me. Not that I will ever encounter concretions from that area, but I do find many concretions all over the place in many states and the more types I encounter the more info I have to apply to various types I encounter.  

Years ago I thought all concretions were just rocks and empty. But in the Lance Formation on digs some of the bones we excavated would be encased in enormous concretions.

Then here in the Britton Formation many of the concretions are filled with fossils.

Then there are the Mazon nodules and Carboniferous sites I’ve hunted in Oklahoma where they have plant material in them.

Just yesterday I discovered concretions while in the Woodbine for the first time. There is plant material in some of them.

So, I am leaning and growing in my concretion knowledge. They’re fascinating and cool.

• I found this Informative 1

Hey @KimTexan, for years now the fossils in concretions have been my favorite.  I do love splittin rock for fish, but they take a back seat to my concretions.  Im leaving in a few days to go get me some of those world famous Fox Hills Concretions.  Lots of junk to be found, but when you find something good, it can be really really good!!! 

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

This crab concretion is an easy read and has a 99% chance of being a really nice crab

Looking forward to watching your magic work again, Ron.  I'm trying a little magic, too, on one of your crab concretions. I hope you don't mind.  It's still a work in progress.

Crab-concretion-923.gif.8e85bf9999fa27310508d1b19acf5627.gif

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

3 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Cool and exciting. Now we have to wait months to see what you reveal with your amazing prep skills. Im

sure it will be amazing.

That info is informative to me. Not that I will ever encounter concretions from that area, but I do find many concretions all over the place in many states and the more types I encounter the more info I have to apply to various types I encounter.  

Years ago I thought all concretions were just rocks and empty. But in the Lance Formation on digs some of the bones we excavated would be encased in enormous concretions.

Then here in the Britton Formation many of the concretions are filled with fossils.

Then there are the Mazon nodules and Carboniferous sites I’ve hunted in Oklahoma where they have plant material in them.

Just yesterday I discovered concretions while in the Woodbine for the first time. There is plant material in some of them.

So, I am leaning and growing in my concretion knowledge. They’re fascinating and cool.

Kim I've found a small ammonite in a concretion from NSR I split open. 

1 hour ago, JarrodB said:

Kim I've found a small ammonite in a concretion from NSR I split open. 

Pictures, or it didn't happen!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I’m still in awe that you can look at that rock and tell all that, you are a true master!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’m still in awe that you can look at that rock and tell all that, you are a true master!

After the 3000nth rock, some things become obvious. 

RB

Oh yeah, one of those Zipper crab concretions.  Should come out alot easier.  Hopefully, it will be a nice complete crabbie.

On 9/24/2018 at 7:40 AM, crabfossilsteve said:

Oh yeah, one of those Zipper crab concretions.  Should come out alot easier.  Hopefully, it will be a nice complete crabbie.

This came from 'Highwall'.  Out of all the crabs ive prepped from that site, ive only had two that were not so good. most turn out beautiful.  Even the small concs.  Time will tell though.

RB