Upper Gilwern Quarry, Powys, Wales, U.K.

Old Bob

Hi everyone,

I’m very much an amateur and late new starter. This is my first enquiry.

I’ve booked a 1day session at Upper Gilwern quarry with an overnight stay. Daylight hours and check in / out times mean that I will only have a limited 1 day max regardless of the weather. I want to maximise productivity and finds as I’m travelling a long way to get there.

Does anyone have any specific guidance or tips for this location? Research has only provided general access descriptions and the fact that the chance of finds is high. But exactly where do I go in this quarry. I have no real idea on how big it is. Any help or specific pointers / tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

• I found this Informative 1

Since you mention you have done some research I imaging you have seen this web site about the location.  Other than that I haven't been there and so have no advice to offer.  However the web site makes it seem as though trilobites are abundant and you will have lots of slabs to turn over/split without having to worry about finding a specific layer.  Good luck, and be sure to take/post photos and show us your finds.  I'm jealous, it seems like a site I would really enjoy.

Don

• I found this Informative 1