Waldron Shale Collection

Ken K

Thanks RT, when I began the prep I couldn't tell if the specimen was going to have the attchment or not as it was covered with matrix!

Appreciate that REW and thanks for following along here.

Thanks YNOT, I do spend a great deal of time preparing my material and try and have several specimens fully prepared of all taxa I have from the Waldron.

Thanks Wrangellian,  I do a lot of work to alleviate the tell tale tool marks from the matrix.  Takes a good bit longer to finish a piece but well worth the extra effort I think. In addition, I never over clean a specimen...less is more.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:42 PM, ynot said:

Very nice find and wonderful prepp!

You should enter it in the fossil of the month contest....(read the rules first.)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/150-fossil-of-the-month/

On 1/25/2019 at 9:08 AM, Ken K said:

Appreciate that "ynot"and thanks for the support.

Only 4 days left to make an entry into this months invertebrate fossil of the month contest.

You really should enter one of these beauties.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 10/17/2018 at 3:27 PM, Ken K said:

I have been preparing fossils for many years.  I started with the best equipment I could find and have never regretted it.  For sure!  I'd be happy to post some pictures.  I'll get some shots of my curation and display areas as well as my prep shop.  I built my "museum" myself with built in and lighted glass display cases.

Here's a picture of one wall of my display room and just a portion of my Waldron collection...more later...Ken

PB150004.jpg

I just now came across this thread. Wow!

Jaw dropping and what everyone else said. The specimens are of amazing quality and the prep work is phenomenal. The details you were able to preserve is exquisite. I consider prep to a large degree to be an artistic skill. You are a master artist. 

Well thank you very much Kim, made my day!  I agree, once you get the technical part of preparation down the rest is presentation and careful preservation of detail which is artistic I suppose.  Smoothing the matrix, for example,  to get rid of tool marks from the prep process does nothing for the specimen itself but makes the presentation so much more pleasing to look at and allows for scrutiny and study without distraction.  Thanks again for such a nice note...Ken