Waldron Shale Collection

Ken K

Thanks much Walt.  My theory is this...I may not have the best specimens in the world, but the ones I have are going to be well cared for!

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Ken K said:

Here's a picture of one wall of my display room and just a portion of my Waldron collection...more later...Ken

PB150004.jpg

Hi Ken,

Were you featured on Mark Wilson's 'Wooster Geologists' blog a few years back?

Right.  The Wooster group visited my museum for the day.  Great bunch!  Mark was interested in the epifauna on many of the waldron specimens.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Ken K said:

Right.  The Wooster group visited my museum for the day.  Great bunch!  Mark was interested in the epifauna on many of the waldron specimens.

Found the link http://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2014/02/16/woosters-fossil-of-the-week-a-tubeworm-encrusted-parasitic-gastropod-silurian-of-indiana/

• I found this Informative 3

@Ken K,  unbelievable collection!!!   Being just an amateur fossilhound, and always seeing the quality of specimens that come out of the Waldron, I have always dreamed about collecting from it. Your specimens only enhance that dream. I am actually going to be in Ohio next week. Does the Wooster Geology Department have any public displays to visit while back "home"? I lived in Wooster until 5th grade before moving to Canton. Maybe combining a visit to my old neighborhood with a visit to the college would be fun! 

Thanks for posting the link to the Wooster blog site middevonian!

minnbuckeye, I haven't been to the Wooster campus so have no idea if they have a display area or not.  I'm sure you could contact them to arrange a visit.

Thanks much for the kind words as well...

Stunning stuff you got there! Am curious approximately how many prep hours you put in on the Eucalyptocrinites crassus and the Eospirifer radiata? 

Thanks for sharing those and the gastropod in progress...pretty awesome. 

Regards, Chris 

Beautiful specimens and your display looks awesome. Congratulations. Hope to collect in that formation one of these days.

Thanks Jeffrey, appreciate that.

Well Chris the Eospirifer took about 10 hours of prep time.  It was almost completely surrounded by matrix when found so had to be carefully prepared to retain all the detail and epifauna.

The E. crassus took about a total of 30-40 hours to complete.  I have some images below of the initial find and beginning of the preparation.  

The crown and about half the stem was in one slab and the root system and other half of stem was in formation.  The root system had to be cut out of the quarry floor and both slabs taken home and put back together and prepared.

P6030016.jpg

P6030019.jpg

P8030002.jpg

What a fantastic collection! I collect the Waldron Shale around Nashville and the preservation is terrible compared to these. Really awesome specimens!  :envy:

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Right Paciphacops, the Waldron preservation becomes noticeably worse as the formation trends to the south.  Quite high energy and it appears that much of the fauna is broken and re-worked by storms and currents.  

Fantastic collection!

I have been collecting the Waldron for several years and appreciate the time you put in to find good pieces.

Can you post some close ups of your display cases?

17 hours ago, Ken K said:

Right Paciphacops, the Waldron preservation becomes noticeably worse as the formation trends to the south.  Quite high energy and it appears that much of the fauna is broken and re-worked by storms and currents.

Exactly. The fine details on the Waldron fossils here are fantastic, but they are typically very fragmented. Even when you find something articulated, the material is highly fractured and the shale is very crumbly. Any limestone layers tend to be hash plates with lots of fragments. The other big problem here is access to good exposures. The best ever was the Pegram Quarry just west of Nashville, but it is inactive and has been off limits for decades now, and the fossiliferous shale is buried. The Waldron there is about 5 feet thick and sits right on the surface. It was bulldozed into huge berms surrounding the quarry to expose the Laurel limestone, and the berms were gradually covered with soil and trees. 30 years ago, collecting was allowed and these berms were pretty incredible.

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Thanks RC, no problem on the pictures.  Are you wanting to see the specimens better or the display case layout?

Paciphacops, I have collected extensively in the Waldron in Indiana and had heard about Pegram years ago but did not manage to get down that way to collect.  Would have enjoyed accumulating a reprresentative collection from the Waldron there for comparison.  

1 hour ago, Ken K said:

...Are you wanting to see the specimens better or the display case layout?

All of the above, please!:popcorn:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

On 10/25/2018 at 6:40 PM, piranha said:

All of the above, please!:popcorn:

Agreed

we would love to see both

Sounds good, I'll get some pictures of the displays...need to get them a bit more organized for close inspection!

In the mean time, here is the Waldron gastropod and cornulities that I finished up yesterday and posted a prep in progress shot earlier in this thread...

IMG_4312.jpg

On 10/17/2018 at 1:27 PM, Ken K said:

Here's a picture of one wall of my display room and just a portion of my Waldron collection...more later...Ken

PB150004.jpg

:trilosurprise: :drool:

Looks pretty amazing. I'm with the others in wanting more, and closer-up. I notice your pics are all on the small side... Are you keeping them small to discourage people who might pinch them for publications/etc?

Your display room is absolutely remarkable and resembles my vision of what I'd like my room to be. Do you typically hunt quarries? I love hunting the quarries in St.Paul. A few years back I was privy to hunt the St.Paul Stone quarry alone for 3 days. My last day was amazing. I have yet to find a complete crinoid with the stem, but Im still looking. In total I found 12 complete trilobites, 15+ gastropods and an amazing bryozoan. 

This piece was the first trilobite piece I found while visiting the quarry. When I think I've found every one, another one pops up. Its nothing too special, but when I first found it there was only one cephalon visible.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection.

20180403_165837.thumb.jpg.eabfe68225a2e43ca0a340d8f25822b3.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

...I'm back.

This is my best gastropod find from my 3 day hunt. Its a work in progress as it was wet when I found it. Ive spent some time trying to stabilize it. Ill finish it when I get my prep room and blast box completely set up. Theres a trilo also ive started to work on as well. Nothing too special again.20170525_151539_resized.thumb.jpg.7244befedfbfcc4f6f034e925c15f3ae.jpg

20170724_131947_resized.thumb.jpg.7c9367141e6ea6e0d6bfa29703eee4d3.jpg

...I'm back.

22 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Theres a trilo also ive started to work on as well. Nothing too special again.

he's 250+ million years old.  What's a fossil gotta do around here to be considered special? :doh!:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

7 minutes ago, Walt said:

he's 250+ million years old.  What's a fossil gotta do around here to be considered special? :doh!:

Just trying to be humble is all. Lol I know all my finds are special as im the first person to ever see them when uncovered.

...I'm back.