Lake Michigan Gastropod or ???

Merv

I'm trying to identify my fossils to create a hands on fossil unit for classroom use.

These 2 are stumping me (will post second photo in reply, can't attach it here). They look kind of like snail shells but aren't sharp enough for me to be sure. They're more imprints.

IMG_20181001_120758.jpg

Your first sample looks oddly like impact fractures. Your second sample does look like gastropods in cross section.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you! Yes impact structure but in that perfect snail shell curve. Argh. Do snails ever pile up in a jumble like that in a fossil?

To my shame, the other one I just 'found' today. I didn't even realize I had it lol. But sooooo pleased to have one Gastropod.

Edited by Merv

I agree with @fossilcrazy. I was thinking fractures but impact fractures is more to the point. Maybe @ynot would have an opinion about what kind of rock this may be.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

The first piece is a cryptocrystalline quartz (chert or flint) that has been stream tumbled.

The marking on the surface is common for this type of rock and are caused from impacting other stones while it was tumbling.

Think of a lot of bb impacts in a window. 

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you! I was going crazy trying to figure out what it was. I've spent days scrolling through Google image searches lol.