Hell Creek Teeth ID

PalaeoArt

Hi All,

I wondered if you could help with the ID of two small teeth I found in the Hell Creek formation in SE Montana (in a microsite). The first is what looks like a Thescelosaurus tooth, but I think looking at it again it might be Ankylosaurus magniventris (it's small at 0.25"). The second is a small Theropod tooth (0.55") is a strange looking tooth which I can't place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've taken some photos in hand and then a few under the microscope.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ankylosaurus.jpg

Teeth 1.jpg

Teeth 2.JPG

Theropod.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Cool teeth! I agree that the first tooth is Ankylosaurus magniventris and think that the theropod tooth is probably an Acheroraptor temertyorum tooth just based off the size and the shape of its serrations. However I could be wrong and it may belong to a small nanotyrannus.

• I found this Informative 2

Checking comparative materiel and known species from the hell creek formation I looks to be from Ankylosaurus, and does not match neither Denversaurus being a nodosauridae.

For the theropod tooth I can see what looks to be a twist on the mesial but with not denticles this could just be more of an illusion, if you could take a count per mm of the serration density of the distal side this could help greatly to put a more concise identification on it.

Thanks Matt

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, Haravex said:

Checking comparative materiel and known species from the hell creek formation I looks to be from Ankylosaurus, and does not match neither Denversaurus being a nodosauridae.

For the theropod tooth I can see what looks to be a twist on the mesial but with not denticles this could just be more of an illusion, if you could take a count per mm of the serration density of the distal side this could help greatly to put a more concise identification on it.

Thanks Matt

Thanks Matt. There is definitely a twist to the mesial carina but sadly the denticles have been worn off. The distal carina however has good serrations and has 19 count/5mm. 

20 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

The first one is indeed A. magniventris. No idea on the other one but very nice teeth.

Many thanks for the help on the A magniventris.

Ok so I've been looking for the official serration count of acheroraptor but can't seem to find it, this topic might be of some use 

What I am thinking currently is that it would be too small to be from dakotaraptor (even though the dentical count is within the right limits ) and the fact there does look to be apicobasal ridges on one side of the crown. With this being said until someone with a bit more experience can help I'm going to also suggest that R.gilmorei could be a possibility but by my calculations the serration count for these should be 26/5mm