Petrifed Wood Agate Opal Fossil ID please

Monarch

There is a lot of jasper and agates around the Fallon area, there is also petrified wood.

I think the pieces shown here are jasper/agate. They may be petrified wood as some wood does not show wood grain.

You would need to know if wood is found at the particular site You found these at, and what that wood looks like, to be sure one way or the other.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

That seems like a tough or near impossible call though, because if you look at samples from the Petrified Forest in AZ the diversity is huge even within the park. I visited there last year and was amazed how great the diversity of pet wood was with material composition, minerals and colors.

As @ynot said pet wood of those materials often do not have tree rings.

Are there 5 pieces or are pics 1-2 one and 3-4 a second piece and the 5th pic a 3rd piece?

If they are all different pieces I would question if #4 is a piece more than the others. However, just because it looks more solid still doesn’t eliminate it from being pet wood. It is just that most chalcedony (jasper and agate are forms of chalcedony) pet wood I have seen tend to have some mixture of minerals to give it more of a marbly appearance when the tree rings are absent, but not always. I have some small pet wood that looks pretty solid.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Kim and thank you for the feedback. To clarify, the first 2 pictures are the same, as well the 3rd and 4th picture the same.