Jeffrey P

Next day was Cretaceous. Drove an hour east to Denton and met up with BobWill who showed me the Rayzor Ranch site. It is a commercial development and there are piles of debris from the Grayson Formation. There were oodles of small oysters, Ilymatogyra arietina: 

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

There were a number of Mariella, spiral coiled ammonites, and I also found a nautiloid, Cymatoceras:

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Later that day, Bob took me to his neighbor's ranch. It was a wild bumpy ride in Bob's old pick up truck across fields with cattle. We arrived at a stream bed. Within the first five minutes I found and collected this Eopachydiscus. It was too heavy to carry so I left it and picked it up on the way back. 

IMG_3625.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Great topic! Can’t wait to see the rest. Texas Cretaceous is right up my alley, but so is all of Texas geology.

Jacksboro is really a special place. I have only been there once so far (back in May), but came away with tons of gastropods, crinoid segments and stem pieces, bryozoa, nautiloid and ammonoid pieces, including some tiny and exquisitely detailed pyritized goniatites. No compete large goniatites though. Hope to go back soon. Bob is good people and is the best to show you around the site, as he was when I went with him there. 

Again, great trip report!

• I found this Informative 3

Dan, Uncle Siphuncle and I were supposed to meet up, but a family commitment prevented it from happening. However, Dan was generous in giving me directions and info. about three sites in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. He was my spiritual advisor on this trip: The first site; in the Britton Formation produced a number of baculite pieces, Sciponoceras:

IMG_3545.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Sure enough ammonites were plentiful, both in the streambed and in the embankments: 

IMG_3341.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

After two days of collecting solo, I met up with Kris, Ptychodus04 and his friend, John and explored a streambed that exposes the Britton Formation.  

IMG_3357.JPG

I found this piece of fish jaw in three pieces which Kris thought might be Pachyrhizodus: 

IMG_3543.JPG

Gastropods were plentiful: I found severeal and John and Kris gifted me more as well. These are Tylostoma: 

IMG_3564.JPG

• I found this Informative 1