Jeffrey P

I excavated a pair of Oxytrpidoceras ammonites. This is one of them. It will need a lot of prep work: 

IMG_3577.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Both Kris and John were great and very generous companions. This is TFF member, Kris: 

IMG_3362.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Next stop was Brownwood, deep in the heart of Central Texas. Met up with Tully (Thair) to explore more sites in the Pennsylvanian Period.  First site he took me was in a private development, similar to Jacksboro: 

IMG_3381.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

There were also brachiopods, though not the variety of Jacksboro. These are Punctospirifer: 

IMG_3523.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

That's REALLY awesome. Once I get my driver's license (2 years away :( ) I will have to do an awesome road trip collecting fossils all the way from North Carolina, through Texas, and ending up in Utah and Wyoming. Will be awesome

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

And a number of individuals, including these: 

IMG_3572.JPG

Caninia

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Overall, well done, Jeff.  First experiences at new-to-you venues are among the most memorable.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

5 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

A surprise was finding four complete (though battered) goniatites. Pieces were plentiful, but I never expected to find a complete one let alone four: 

IMG_3434.JPG

Those are beautiful. I have been there one time and only found 2 fragments of these. Of course as I was walking across the dam there were several people coming back from hunting the area.

Nice finds and nice trip report.

After I left the Lost Creek site I stopped by a nearby road cut for less than 10 minutes and found these just sitting on a ledge. The one on the right is 2 fused together.03BCEBCC-CD49-441A-A201-BCA3FC19512C.thumb.jpeg.3802fea521c7e4077da29ae3e6e0c441.jpeg

I think I know the Britton Formation with the Sciponoceras gracile zone. It is one of those places I can go hunt and be near work when I am on call. Most of my favorite places are a bit more remote. I think I have 2-3 trip reports from there on TFF. Most of the baculites are small fragments, but I have one that I found, which is a little over 4 inches.

Those Mortoniceras are very nice. I have yet to find a large one in quite that nice of shape. When winter comes I will be out there again hunting down more ammonite. The weather is starting to cool off now. 

Those Eopachydiscus can get really big. I found one about 24 inches.

Nice trip report. Thanks for sharing.

After my dinner break, I resume:  Tully took me to a small roadside exposure loaded with echinoid spines. I also found these at Jacksboroand the site we visited earlier in the day, but nothing like the abundance here:

IMG_3575.JPG

Finally, Tully took me to the Wilson Clay Pit, our fourth stop that day. Wilson Clay Pit is basically piles and miles of rock debris covering many acres of desolate landscape with remains of Pennsylvanian marine fauna strewn about among the many cactuses. 

IMG_3369.JPG

Geez Louise, Jeff! What a fabulous trip, something I can only dream of. Thank-you for sharing such a detailed report and the aewsome pics.

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.