blackmoth

I was give these two pieces by a frirend who cliamed they are both from the same Shanxi formation ( lower permian, like missisippi in US) in Yangquan, a well known

coal mine in North China.

He said they are just two pierces of the same thing ( Lepidodendron oculus felis). I found it hard to swallow, as the two pieces look rather different.

however after some digging into literrature, it seems he is backed by many old  scholars (not all, though)  including Kawasaki, Stockmans and Mathieu.

The last two pics I got from an old book, which look rather similar to mine, are considered by these researchers as belonging to the same species, although they are rather far between in loacation and age ( from upper carbon to upper permian).

please enlighten me.

519855876669451206.jpg

472819714934945374.jpg

sixingjian-1.jpg

s-2.jpg

I can't tell you much more than pieces can look completely different in pattern depending on what part of the plant/tree it is located from.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I had a close look at the bigger piece, which has better preserved  details. very strange. Th eleaf cushion is actaully a distorted hex,  seperarted by strips with verticle ripples. It has a small but clearcut midiane , starting from inside the cat-eye-shaped  leaf scar, going up.

drawing.jpg

Very nice acquisitions Blackmoth! I cant answer your questions and am not familiar with that material. I cant seem to find anything definitive on the web either yet that would help. Ive seen a number of differing leaf scar photos. I sent an email in hopes someone has some time to comment on your photos.  If I get anything Ill let you know. I wonder if Tim or Bruno or Roman know anything about that species... @paleoflor @docdutronc @RomanK

Regards, Chris 

P.S. Decided to add these...I did find these in the Swedish Museum of Natural History files...looks like a pretty neat museum/repository!

https://www.nrm.se

The photos/have the links imbedded. 

S143228-01 Lepidodendron oculus-felis (Abbado) Zeiller

S143228-03.jpg

Lepidodendron oculus-felis (Abbado) Zeiller

S146283-p05%20Lepidondron%20oculus-felis

Edited by Plantguy
added Museum photos

Thanks. If the vague strips in the black circles are real ( which I think is the case) , the leaf cushion shape is pretty close.

The leaf scar is smaller relative to the leaf cushion and tend to be on the left hand side, but I guess these ( plus the missing tiny verticle mediane ) are normal variations.

S143228-03.jpg