SW Florida Alligator or Barrcuda Tooth Fossil?

Bronzviking

Hello, I found what appears to be a split tooth on Casey Key, Florida. It's about 5/8 x 3/8" with a nice wood grain color and shine. I have attached 5 photos, front and back. Can you ID it from what is left of the tooth? Thanks in advance!

CrocTooth2.jpg

CrocTooth3.jpg

CrocTooth4.jpg

CrocToothB.jpg

CrocToothB2.jpg

The barracuda teeth in my collection do not have such conical bottoms, meaning that my guess would be croc

+1  for croco-gator. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I seems to be a really thick piece of enamel leading me to believe it is mammalian and maybe upside down.

2 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

I seems to be a really thick piece of enamel leading me to believe it is mammalian and maybe upside down.

What do you mean maybe upside down? @goatinformationist

@Harry Pristis, @Peace river rat. They live more in your part of the country and hunt the East coast. Harry is very good at knowing teeth. 

It is difficult to tell fro. The pic, but are there groves or ridges on the surface of the tooth?

I think it could be a dolphin tooth. But I am no pro. Wait for more to chime in. You can have a look at Harry’s wonderful teeth gallery images. He takes amazing pics.

• I found this Informative 2

12 hours ago, KimTexan said:

@Harry Pristis, @Peace river rat. They live more in your part of the country and hunt the East coast. Harry is very good at knowing teeth. 

It is difficult to tell fro. The pic, but are there groves or ridges on the surface of the tooth?

I think it could be a dolphin tooth. But I am no pro. Wait for more to chime in. You can have a look at Harry’s wonderful teeth gallery images. He takes amazing pics.

Hi Kim, the tooth has slight grooves on the longest edge on the conical side and you can see linear striations also. This is tumbled and polished from the waves, so it could of had grooves all around. On the flip side you can see and feel the crevice that wraps around the broken side. See photos...thanks!

croctooth4Red.jpg

CrocToothBRed.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

Kim, So does these grooves give us any clues to what I have? Thanks @KimTexan

Groves or ridges and the pattern of them do help with ID. For instance canine/bear teeth  I believe don’t have any ridges. I am a novice at this. From my novice perspective it looks like either a gator or dolphin, but I am not experienced enough to know which. I’m inclined to think dolphin, but I don’t know if we can know definitively what it is without the root. Maybe someone else would know.

Did you look at the gallery link to @Harry Pristis? He has a few examples of dolphin and gator in his gallery. 

3 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Groves or ridges and the pattern of them do help with ID. For instance canine/bear teeth  I believe don’t have any ridges. I am a novice at this. From my novice perspective it looks like either a gator or dolphin, but I am not experienced enough to know which. I’m inclined to think dolphin, but I don’t know if we can know definitively what it is without the root. Maybe someone else would know.

Did you look at the gallery link to @Harry Pristis? He has a few examples of dolphin and gator in his gallery. 

Harry already commented and leaning towards mammal but can't ID. Thanks for your input. :)

21 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

What do you mean maybe upside down? @goatinformationist

If that is thick enamel then it may be a small cusp of a larger tooth, mammalian but not necessarily cetacean.  Tough shape. Looks like enamel on the inside????

6 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

I saw this photo in one of your posts. My tip looks similar to yours. What do you think I found?

Here is another photo of my tooth clearly showing the differentiation between enamel tip and root. The crimped root makes mine clearly gator rather than dolphin.

2013Jan14thGator3_txt.thumb.jpg.77291c97291099a9bc1219980d74e5b8.jpg

Your enamel tip is not gator, and that leaves marine mammal or land predator as choices. Look at Harry's photos of canines, almost any of which could have been broken and worn into your find. Some identifications are just not possible.  I do not see a carina, I do not detect the horizontal bands I associate with Florida whale.  I am with Harry. :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, KimTexan said:

That is one of those rare "I haven't even a decent guess".