Unidentified shark tooth

Thetruth7771

Hi I am a new member and hoping for some suggestions. I found this shark tooth at Sandy Hook beach in N.J. I have been searching online to try to id it with nothing conclusive. There are no serrations on the sides of the tooth however I am not sure if this is due to excessive tumbling in the ocean water. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A6A9D22F-F02B-4B17-B6B7-E682A4D7858F.jpeg

96C723FF-A2A4-4F92-AB72-19CCAEEF0597.jpeg

Edited by Thetruth7771
More specific

That's a pretty weird find for the location. It is either a fossil Carcharodon hastalis or C. carcharias (it is too worn to be sure). It is not in its natural location and must have been dropped by someone.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Agreed. I was very surprised. The remnants of hurricane Michael caused rough surf and a lot of wind. Thank you!

4 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

That's a pretty weird find for the location. It is either a fossil Carcharodon hastalis or C. carcharias (it is too worn to be sure). It is not in its natural location and must have been dropped by someone.

Doesn’t C. Carcharias have serrated teeth? I guess it’s so worn it may have had those serrations at one time?

10 minutes ago, Thetruth7771 said:

Doesn’t C. Carcharias have serrated teeth? I guess it’s so worn it may have had those serrations at one time?

If it did have serrations then it is likely carcharias, if not then likely hastalis. It is too worn to be sure.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

On 10/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, The Jersey Devil said:

This certainly could be its natural location. Fossil C, carcharias teeth have been found as far north as Rockaway Beach, NYC.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Carl said:

This certainly could be its natural location. Fossil C, carcharias teeth have been found as far north as Rockaway Beach, NYC.

Is there a formation that outcrops nearby under the ocean?

4 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Is there a formation that outcrops nearby under the ocean?

Yes. The Pleistocene Gardners Clay ourcrops offshore and is well known for its mollusks, crustaceans, and the occasional vertebrate that wash up on the beaches.

• I found this Informative 2