what kind of oir is this this in this rock ?

matthew textor

Hi everyone this is matt again 

can anyone tell me what kind of metal  is in this rock sense I can't figure it out ?

here are some photos 

IMG_2458.JPG

Hey Matt, nice find! I'm gonna disagree with the others...I think it does look like there is a metallic mineral there to me...seems to have a possible metallic luster on a number of the gold/beige colored grains. Wondering if you have really have some pyrite or a chalcopyrite in quartz...but you need to figure out the mineral's properties...hardness, streak, etc. 

Are you familiar with those? If not here's a page that shows you what I'm talking about.....streak and hardness are explained. 

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/High_School_Earth_Science/Identification_of_Minerals

High School Earth Science/Identification of Minerals

Streak[edit]

250px-Hematite_streak.png

Figure 3.14: You rub a mineral across an unglazed porcelain plate to determine the streak. The hematite shown here has a red-brown streak.

Streak is the color of the powder of a mineral. To do a streak test, you scrape the mineral across an unglazed porcelain plate. The plate is harder than many minerals, causing the minerals to leave a streak of powder on the plate. The color of the streak often differs from the color of the larger mineral sample, as Figure 3.14 shows. If you did a streak test on the yellow-gold pyrite, you would see a blackish streak. This blackish streak tells you that the mineral is not gold because gold has a gold-colored streak.

Streak is a more reliable property than the color of the mineral sample. The color of a mineral may vary, but its streak does not vary. Also, different minerals may be the same color, but they may have a different color streak. For example, samples of hematite and galena can both be dark gray, but hematite has a red streak and galena has a gray streak.

Tony might or someone else might know by just looking at your photo but can you determine its hardness and its streak color? Once you have that kind of info you can look it up by how hard it is and then narrow it by other properties like streak on the following chart .  

http://www.minsocam.org/msa/collectors_corner/id/mineral_id_keytib.htm

cool find. 

Regards, Chris 

To Me it looks like 3 or 4 different minerals in a piece of quartz vein.

Could be pyrite, mica, feldspar, garnet, etc.

Would take better focused pictures to be able to have any chance of identification by picture, even then it would be guessing for some of it.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.