Irish fossil id

TFry

Hello everyone! 

I was beachcombing this morning and found this near the shoreline. I dont have a clue as to what kind of animal it used to be attached to and was hoping someone here could ID. 

I live in Galway, Ireland and after Storm Callum blew through last week we've all sorts of interesting things washed up in the sands.  

Any help is much appreciated! 

Traci

20181016_165011.jpg

20181016_164622.jpg

Thanks for the welcome!

I was wondering if it was modern because of the light coloring. I'm a transplant here in Ireland from Tennessee, and Im used to finding arrowheads not bones! lol

Thank you! 

• I found this Informative 1

It is cancellous bone material for sure; how old it is really cannot be stated with certainty just from the pictures.

If you try to set it alight (mind the curtains!), and it smells of burnt hair, then it still contains collagen, and is unfossilized.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You're psychic! I had just finished reading about the fire test and tried it before your post. No smell of burnt hair, which pleased my husband, who said it might cook better if it had meat on it. lol

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, TFry said:

You're psychic! I had just finished reading about the fire test and tried it before your post. No smell of burnt hair, which pleased my husband, who said it might cook better if it had meat on it. lol

:hearty-laugh:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John