Shark Teeth Collection Part Two!

worthy 55

that collection is insain!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

:Thumbs-up: :Thumbs-up: :Thumbs-up: :Thumbs-up:

What is the name of specimen #1? :shades: I remember seeing a similar specimen in the Sternberg Museum in Kansas.

Mike

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

If memory serves, Dr Hubble's collection was shown on an early" Shark Week" show on the Discovery channel. That show, with some of his megalodon teeth was the one that got me started with all this madness.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Dr. Gordon Hubble lives in Gainesville which is a short drive from here Cris anad I are planning on getting in touch with him soon and visiting his museum.

What is the name of specimen #1? :shades: I remember seeing a similar specimen in the Sternberg Museum in Kansas?

If you're referring to the spiral one, it's a Helicoprion. I don't know how many species there are, but the only one I know of is H. bessonowi, a ridiculously rare one from the permian-triassic.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Another note, the jaws shown are a Frilled Shark (Clamydodoselachus), probably the most primitive living shark. Next is a Goblin Shark (Mitsukurina) but the photo is upside down. There is a picture of what the freaky looking shark looks like beside the jaw. Both of these jaws are quite tough to get a hold of. The last one is a shortfin Mako (Isurus oxyrhinchus). Shameless plug here, but I still have 1 of these for sale/trade if anyone's interested.

What is the name of specimen #1? :shades: I remember seeing a similar specimen in the Sternberg Museum in Kansas?
He told us the story about that fossil. It was stolen from the museum in Russia and was being sold in the US and he and a friend got it back and had to smuggle it back to the museum in Russia and got thrown in jail and a friend from England got it to the muesum in St Petersburg Russia. That is where the real fossil is and all the others you see are cast. :cool: :cool:

It's my bone!!!

If you're referring to the spiral one, it's a Helicoprion. I don't know how many species there are, but the only one I know of is H. bessonowi, a ridiculously rare one from the permian-triassic.

Do you know of any drawings of it? I'm having a problem visualizing what it may have looked like. It's a really weird looking configuration of teeth.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I don't think all those are in his collection if they are then i need to come by and see his museum :P

post-23-1203728899_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

I read the second post before the first so I thought you were showing your collection.
LOL!!! I wish!!!!!!

It's my bone!!!

If memory serves, Dr Hubble's collection was shown on an early" Shark Week" show on the Discovery channel. That show, with some of his megalodon teeth was the one that got me started with all this madness.
Yep! thats him. He is a real nice man. :Thumbs-up:

It's my bone!!!

I think this is the coolest fossil there!!!!! :Thumbs-up: :Thumbs-up: :cool: :cool: :cool:

post-23-1203731357_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Do you know of any drawings of it? I'm having a problem visualizing what it may have looked like. It's a really weird looking configuration of teeth.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...rd-animals.html

This shows how it MAY have looked. Obviously with such an odd configuration, it's still all speculative.