Are these likely authentic - New to the "sport"

SESPrez

Hello, 

While on a trip through Yellowstone country with the family last summer we stopped at fossil/rock shop in West Yellowstone and my son became interested in fossils. Fast forward to today I happened upon several "fossils" for sale semi-locally but on-line. I think my son would love to have them for his birthday, but it would be a fair drive to check them out in person, so before doing that, or buying them on faith I was hoping perhaps someone from this forum could take a look at the pics and give me your assessment of the potential authenticity.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and passion with me. I love people who love their hobbies, and enjoy sharing knowledge.   

ammonite 4.jpg

ammonite 5.jpg

Fish 1.jpg

Ammonite 1.png

ammonite 2.jpg

ammonite 3.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

The fish fossils are quite real, possibly the one on the right has some "enhancements" painted onto it. 

They look to be Knightia eocaena from the Green River Formation in Wyoming. 

The multi-specimen plate is from Morocco, and while the fossils are real (albeit, highly polished) their placement on the "slab" is entirely fabricated.  

They are common Orthocerid cephalopods and Goniatites. 

Kind regards, 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you both very much! That's sort of what I was thinking about the larger example, it seemed pretty clear that some serious human effort had been put into it. I couldn't imagine it came out of the ground looking that way. What would be a "fair" range to pay for one or the other of these examples? 

Fully recognizing that "fair" is a very subjective word. 

Thank you again! 

The fishes are quite nice. Best to go on to our favourite auction site and do a search. You can search sold items to get a real idea of price. Sorry but the forum does not give valuations Cheers Bobby 

We don't do monetary valuations on the Forum,  but if you check auction sites, like eBay, you could compare prices with what your seller is asking for them. :) 

5bdb5bea442d6_Fish1.jpg.e8e9b6d703df736ff32892ba25062d4d.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you again! I'll jump on online and see what the marketplace of collectors has to tell me via their buying decisions. :) You both rock (get it). :) God's blessings as you continue to pursue your passion. 

The fish multiplate has something very special to me. Very nice arrangement, one fish with closed mouth, the other one with open mouth and a bend fin. Hope, it is natural and not overly enhanced (I don´t know).

I would not go for the ceph plate - to much art work...

Btw, how far away are you living from the nearest fossiliferous rock formation?
Franz Bernhard

I honestly don't know how to answer that question. As far as I know Wisconsin is not known for its fossil finds. If they are from Wyoming we're about 1200 miles from there. 

9 hours ago, SESPrez said:

As far as I know Wisconsin is not known for its fossil finds.

Yes, lots of glacial deposits in Wisconsin. My idea was, that you could possibly make fossil hunting trips with your son, if fossiliferous formations are not to far away from you.

Franz Bernhard