Petition For The Safeguard Of Le Guepelle Fossiliferous Site, France (95)

Coco

Hello Ladies and gentlemen,

Here is a petition (in english for you !) for the safeguard of a marvelous Bartonian location near Paris, France. But you will find all the information below.

Thanks for you help ! ;)

Coco

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Petition for the safeguard of Le Guepelle fossiliferous site, France (95)

Hello everyone,

Several months ago the AESSFG (Association for the Study and the Safeguard of La Guepelle Fossiliferous Site) started an official procedure in order to save the bartonian fossiliferous site of "Le Guepelle" sandpit in Saint-Witz (95). This site, which is presently being exploited, has been well known for two centuries as an invaluable patrimonial element sheltering most of the paleontological and geological testimonies of the history of the Bartonian stage in the Parisian Basin.

The AESSFG has just compiled a complete dossier which aims at having the whole site classified as RNR ( Regional Natural Reserve). Last week the dossier was handed over to the competent authorities:

- Conseil Régional d’Ile de France (Ile-de-France Regional Council)

- Conseil Général du Val d’Oise (Val d’Oise General Council)

- Communautés de Communes de Roissy Porte de France

- Parc Naturel de l’Oise – Pays de France (PNR Oise) (Oise- Pays de France Natural Park)

- DIREN Directions régionales de l’environnement (Environment Regional Management)

At present the AESSFG is not certain to get a favorable resolution. The main difficulties and threads are:

- the site will have been definitely filled by mid 2010, which means that it is necessary to act promptly to save not only the geological testimonies, but also the habitat of the Sand Martin (Riparia riparia) and, in more general terms, a whole original ecosystem (pioneer habitats established on dry sandy areas)

-the property speculation in the area is important. Once the land is back to its original state, its value will increase on the prospect of developing urban and/or industrial areas.

-The Communauté de Communes de Roissy will not manage the project at local level because they claim that the project is beyond their field of competence.

On the other hand, the Ile-de-France Regional Council and the Val d’Oise General Council would be willing to do something but they cannot do it without a local authority managing the project. The PNR Oise also gives support to the project

The present petition aims at demonstrating the need for preserving "Le Guépelle" site as an essential component of the geological and natural patrimony by means of massive support. It is hosted at http://www.mesopinions.com/Sauvegarde-du-site-fossilifere-bartonien-du-Guepelle--95--petition-petitions-b371d7961f95172e26d28f014468841a.html

where you can sign it. It takes only a few seconds

The focus point is to collect as many signatures as possible, so do not hesitate to relay this information around you, particularly on specialized forums where you can copy and paste the totality of this message. We intend to spread a chain reaction as widely as possible.

We would like to thank all amateur and professionals in Earth Sciences and Life Sciences, who will eventually support us.

AESSFG

Internet site

http://aessfg.fr/

If you wish to know further details, the complete dossier with the demand for a RNR classification is available at http://www.megauploa.../fr/?d=EYVO6YXQ

We apologise to those who might have already received this message.

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thanks Maxfossil to tell me this problem. Here is the good link, I hope it will work !

http://www.mesopinions.com/Sauvegarde-du-site-fossilifere-bartonien-du-Guepelle--95--petition-petitions-b371d7961f95172e26d28f014468841a.html

Clik on "signer cette pétition" on the left side.

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Coco

I signed the petition. After years of receiving trade material from LeGuepelle, I had the opportunity to collect from the quarry in 1999. I was given directions to the site by a British collector with instructions to cross under the fence to gain access to the quarry. Such an act could put a collector in the states in legal trouble however I was assured that in France that would not be the case. I met several French collectors who did the same and observed the preferred collecting method of sieving material from the main shell bed in a converted cheese hoop. I personally collected over 50 different species of beautifully preserved Eocene mollusks.

It would be a shame to lose access to such important site.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Hi,

Thanks MikeR.

I am a member of the association of protection for Guepelle area. We work a lot on the spot. The next weekend, we still meet ourselves in the quarry to wash and sieve some sediment, to sort out it at home with the aim of publications on all the fossil fauna, but also on the current fauna and the flora because they are very rich.

We have a team of "sorters" which allows to treat a lot of sediments. Everything is identified, numbered, classified...

If we had not begun this initiative of saving, this quarry so known would have been completely filled in coming two or three years, and thus the site was lost for ever.

In France, the ecologists want no more quarries. Thus as a developer moves in his extraction, he has to fill the space left empty.

We have some more of work to be made, but in the project, the site will be opened to the scientists and to the visitors, it will show the geologic cuttings in place etc. but the amateurs cannot search any more as before.

It is a big work of protection, and I think that we shall arrive there.

Thanks to have read to me. Best regards

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...