Is this a Baby Megalodon Tooth?

Bronzviking

Hi Friends, I recently read a post "Show Your Smallest Megalodon Teeth" and I looked through my small teeth to see if perhaps I do have a meg. All my teeth are from SW Florida beaches, worn from the ocean. These shown have no serrations, but a thick root and a basal groove. The first one shows front and back and is 5/8" x 1/2". The second one shows the penny. Are they megs? If not what shark are they? Thanks!

Meg1.jpg

Meg1Back.jpg

20 minutes ago, ynot said:

Can We get a side view of both teeth?

What are you looking for? I have to try tomorrow in better light.

I will chime in and say that they are most likely the most common teeth found ... at least around here.  The often maligned Carcharhinus sp.  But to be fair to the shark, there are so many around because they were so successful at what they do ...

Cheers,

Brett

PS. I'll get you some images of similar tooth positions to the ones you have here once I get my darned scanner back up and running.  Or buy a new one.  *sigh*

44 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

Hi Friends, I recently read a post "Show Your Smallest Megalodon Teeth" and I looked through my small teeth to see if perhaps I do have a meg. All my teeth are from SW Florida beaches, worn from the ocean. These shown have no serrations, but a thick root and a basal groove. The first one shows front and back and is 5/8" x 1/2". The second one shows the penny. Are they megs? If not what shark are they? Thanks!

For comparison ... a few examples. With different positions.

I'm no expert 'yet' on the identification down to species but one day .. maybe one day .....

From Japan

Pulled from http://naka.na.coocan.jp/discussion4e.html

(5) Pliocene, Hirono Hukushima Prefecture

Hironograysharkb.jpg.9f62c251e9c71d3e26d9262accf21101.jpg

Something more local ...

carcharhinus-shark-tooth1.jpg.82bd191f15f8b5e3eff72b2e7f341369.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Bronzviking said:

What are you looking for? I have to try tomorrow in better light.

Thickness. But others have given the same as I was thinking.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Oh man .... my blurry photos kill me !

Your photos are way better than mine. So your Georgia teeth are what kind(s) of shark? Thanks

Your photos are way better than mine. So your Georgia teeth are what kind(s) of shark? Thanks

They are Carcharhinus sp.  (requiem sharks) .. which is a catch all for what collectors commonly lump together in the field and call Bull Shark teeth.  The ones I took a photo of are probably a mix of Bull/Dusky/Silky/Grey/Copper sharks.   

I use papers written and books like the Sharks Past and Present to look for examples for comparison.  At least books like the one below have extant (living) examples of ancestors of some of these sharks for comparison. The images are 'ok' , I'd be curious to know what the other members think about the accuracy of the fossil teeth sets and their identification in the book.

I would also highly recommend Elasmo.com.  A resource many of us shark teeth nuts use. There are many others.

5bf0e313446e0_41GeoCjxxDL._SX384_BO1204203200_.jpg.0eb74fe0e9a6267a33339dcf3c186e70.jpg

These are what most amateurs consider 'Bull shark' teeth.  Again, the are all very similar to one another in morphology (physical shape) so I play it safe and call them Carcharhinus sp.

01_SavannahGA_FieldsCut_080818_BullShark.thumb.jpg.b31c6fb5d9e68eaecc35786bb81f1c43.jpg

01_Bull_SavannahGA_062718.thumb.jpg.47b9bad57da6e69793f7ecce2fcf3e31.jpg

01_Bull_SavannahGA_070918.thumb.jpg.ea2707935402d07f5d3406a3977107f7.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

12 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

They are Carcharhinus sp.  (requiem sharks) .. which is a catch all for what collectors commonly lump together in the field and call Bull Shark teeth.  The ones I took a photo of are probably a mix of Bull/Dusky/Silky/Grey/Copper sharks.   

I use papers written and books like the Sharks Past and Present to look for examples for comparison.  At least books like the one below have extant (living) examples of ancestors of some of these sharks for comparison. The images are 'ok' , I'd be curious to know what the other members think about the accuracy of the fossil teeth sets and their identification in the book.

I would also highly recommend Elasmo.com.  A resource many of us shark teeth nuts use. There are many others.

5bf0e313446e0_41GeoCjxxDL._SX384_BO1204203200_.jpg.0eb74fe0e9a6267a33339dcf3c186e70.jpg

These are what most amateurs consider 'Bull shark' teeth.  Again, the are all very similar to one another in morphology (physical shape) so I play it safe and call them Carcharhinus sp.

01_SavannahGA_FieldsCut_080818_BullShark.thumb.jpg.b31c6fb5d9e68eaecc35786bb81f1c43.jpg

01_Bull_SavannahGA_062718.thumb.jpg.47b9bad57da6e69793f7ecce2fcf3e31.jpg

01_Bull_SavannahGA_070918.thumb.jpg.ea2707935402d07f5d3406a3977107f7.jpg

Thanks for this excellent info/pics! The bull shark teeth seem to have a curve in the blade and mine do not.

So what is your ID on my two? Thanks!

Thanks for this excellent info/pics! The bull shark teeth seem to have a curve in the blade and mine do not.

So what is your ID on my two? Thanks!

Haha .... well ... Carcharhinus sp. ? .. there may be someone out there that could nail them down to a specific species but they are smarter than I.  They are quite worn to be honest and you might not be able to get beyond the genus level.

Speaking of .. did you see this amazing post !!!!

Reading material BOSS level.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

Is it possible to ID a tooth from it's root? This root is a little over an inch wide but most of the tooth is worn or broke off. Could this be a meg root?

DSC07960.JPG

DSC07959.JPG