A chevron bone? But from what?

Sauroniops

Bought this bone from a private collector some years back. It's a big chevron(?) bone from an unidentified creature, found in the Kem Kem Beds of Morocco. Anyone who would have a guess at what this could be from? It's obviously some big creature with a chevron bone at that size, so perhaps a large dinosaur or crocodile of some sort?

flDb1Ll.jpg

That is interesting!! Unfortunately, I have no idea to what kind of animal it belonged to. Let’s see if other members can identify it.

Let’s hope it’s a Spinosaurus chevron!! :fingerscrossed:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Here's some reference Spinosaurid, specifically of Baryonyx. Looks quite different.

Though since it's so big it might be a chevron from a more anterior/front position. Keep in mind that Carcharodontosaurs and crocs in the area also got really big.

010028394_L010093268-S.thumb.jpg.b4bb614cc90fca63c9a253849b4a35ed.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

17 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Here's some reference Spinosaurid, specifically of Baryonyx. Looks quite different.

Though since it's so big it might be a chevron from a more anterior/front position. Keep in mind that Carcharodontosaurs and crocs in the area also got really big.

010028394_L010093268-S.thumb.jpg.b4bb614cc90fca63c9a253849b4a35ed.jpg

Exactly. It's definitely from a very big creature. Could it be possible that it could be from a saurpod of some kind? The attached part of the bone seems very broad. 

@LordTrilobite

Found some example photos of some saurpod chevron bones. This is from Europatitan though, but I think the large open chevron bones could be a match, so maybe the bone could be something like a Rebbachisaurus? 

OIo3iLN.png

• I found this Informative 2

@Sauroniops

Right now your one photo isn't clear enough to make a proper identification. And loose chevrons like this can also be very tricky to identify at the best of times. Kem Kem isn't exactly well studied yet.

It would also help it the bone was cleaned a bit more. But try to make some photos from different angles so the shape can be seen better.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

20 hours ago, Sauroniops said:

@LordTrilobite

Found some example photos of some saurpod chevron bones. This is from Europatitan though, but I think the large open chevron bones could be a match, so maybe the bone could be something like a Rebbachisaurus? 

OIo3iLN.png

They Look very similar to yours. Especially C and E. 

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier