Potential theropod tooth (New Jersey Cretaceous)

frankh8147

34 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

That puppy right there for example.

InkedIMG_3348_LI.jpg

The tooth in question is more curved than any of the teeth in the Rex jaw.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

4 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

The tooth in question is more curved than any of the teeth in the Rex jaw.

It Could be a Dryptosaurus tooth, which is unusually curved, and has fine serrations for a tyrannosaurid tooth.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

3 hours ago, Ramon said:

Could be a Dryptosaurus tooth, which is unusually curved, and has fine serrations for a tyrannosaurid tooth.

Here's a tooth that the forum mostly agreed is a theropod tooth, probably Dryptosaurus. It's not that curved. Maybe it's not even a Dryptosaurus and is something undescribed. Who knows.

https://njfossils.com/dryptosaurus-aqualunguis/

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

2 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Here's a tooth that the forum mostly agreed is a theropod tooth, probably Dryptosaurus. It's not that curved. Maybe it's not even a Dryptosaurus and is something undescribed. Who knows.

https://njfossils.com/dryptosaurus-aqualunguis/

The Appalachian dinosaur fauna is poorly represented in the fossil record. Theropod teeth also vary greatly, because of where they were positioned in the jaw. Teeth that were in the front of the jaw are more flattened out in theropods, but teeth that are in the back of the jaw are thicker and more curved.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

On 11/20/2018 at 12:55 PM, frankh8147 said:

I found this tiny, stream worn tooth a few months ago and was looking for opinions/information on it. I showed it to local paleontologists and was told it may be a theropod tooth but it's tough to be certain on a worn, isolated tooth.

The tooth has faint serrations on both sides but they are much larger and are more visible on the distal side. The root section looks broken up but hopefully my pictures will give you an idea. 

It's tough to get good pictures of it due to it's size but here's my best effort. As always, all help is greatly appreciated!

-Frank

drome.jpg

dromeos.jpg

dromeosaur.jpg

dro.jpg

droe.jpg

drome5.jpg

dromee9.jpg

dromm.jpg

droo.jpg

drr.jpg

drr4.jpg

drrr3.jpg

Nice Find cool tooth it is the shap of a herbivore teeth 

10 minutes ago, Ramon said:

The Appalachian dinosaur fauna is poorly represented in the fossil record. Theropod teeth also vary greatly, because of where they were positioned in the jaw. Teeth that were in the front of the jaw are more flattened out in theropods, but teeth that are in the back of the jaw are thicker and more curved.

Do you think mine is theropod?

6 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Do you think mine is theropod?

Yes, definitely!! No question about it!! :dinothumb:

• 2 months later...

I'm in the mosasaur camp for both of these teeth. Mosasaur teeth have fine serrations fairly frequently, check two topics below. Theropod teeth are much more labio-lingually compressed, similar to the tooth of @The Jersey Devil, while both of teeth in this topic exhibit classical mosasaur (?pterygoid) morphology. In addition, wrinkled enamel along the carinae is also not typical for theropods present in that area (tyrannosaurs and dromaeosaurs).

Would be interesting to hear @Troodon opinion

Dryptosaur-tooth-5-300x300.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The Tooth Fairy

15 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

I'm in the mosasaur camp for both of these teeth. Mosasaur teeth have fine serrations fairly frequently, check two topics below. Theropod teeth are much more labio-lingually compressed, similar to the tooth of @The Jersey Devil, while both of teeth in this topic exhibit classical mosasaur (?pterygoid) morphology. In addition, wrinkled enamel along the carinae is also not typical for theropods present in that area (tyrannosaurs and dromaeosaurs).

Would be interesting to hear @Troodon opinion

I addressed these teeth on another Topic and agree with you.  I don't see how these can be Theropod, they are Mosasaur or other for the reasons you stated and I say that very strongly.   I also believe the denticles are very different but I would like to see a micro picture of them.

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

I addressed these teeth on another Topic and agree with you.  I don't see how these can be Theropod, they are Mosasaur for the reasons you stated and I say that very strongly.   I also believe the denticles are very different but I would like to see a micro picture of them.

It's cool to see all these older threads being brought up again! As I said in the other one, I really believe that we've been closing in on Mosasaur recently. 

Since these teeth have eyes on them right now, here is the original thread, from three years ago, on this topic.

Thanks again!

Isolated teeth can be a bear to ID especially when the fossil record is low with few publications.  Hopefully you can put this to bed sooner than later.   They are indeed cool teeth.

37 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Isolated teeth can be a bear to ID especially when the fossil record is low with few publications.  Hopefully you can put this to bed sooner than later.   They are indeed cool teeth.

Thank you!

One other thing that was discussed here on the forum - uninterrupted Mosasaur teeth also tend to be compressed. I've seen a few local Mosasaur jaws lately and the teeth in them are definitely thinner.

Here is a tooth I found about half a mile away from where I found the ones in question. I'm pretty sold on this one being Mosasaur.

It's more worn than the others but you can see that even the teeth with more compressed bases could be Mosasaur (in my humble opinion).

222.jpg

22219.jpg