Show us your Hash Plates

Bobby Rico

52 minutes ago, ynot said:

Just curious if anyone can tell Me the difference between a "hash plate" and a "mortality plate"?

I learned it as hash plate is a place where dead organisms slowly accumulated over hundreds or thousands of years like downslope of a reef and mortality was a few minutes to a few years worth where large populations died all at once.

• I found this Informative 4

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

7 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

I can't believe I almost missed this post. What I'm seeing is so fantastic. 

@Bobby Rico. You make the greatest posts!

For now I will contribute this array of sheet bryozoans.

011.thumb.JPG.f50b40f1e6b63e0d319a156329229f4c.JPG

Thank you. That’s very nice and good photo too. It is like looking at a strange landscape . Thank for adding to my thread. I am really pleased so many fine plates have been added. All the best Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

@Bobby Rico I just found this thread and your hash-plates are amazing. Thanks for showing me! Hopefully one day I'll acquire one.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

5 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

@Bobby Rico I just found this thread and your hash-plates are amazing. Thanks for showing me! Hopefully one day I'll acquire one.

Thank you , not all are my beauties. I think they are really interesting and very nice to photograph . I hope you find some soon Cheers Bobby 

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thank you , not all are my beauties. I think they are really interesting and very nice to photograph . I hope you find some soon Cheers Bobby 

They look beautiful to me. Your photography is great as well. My dad sure would be interested to meet you being as he is a photographer.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

5 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

They look beautiful to me. Your photography is great as well. My dad sure would be interested to meet you being as he is a photographer.

Thank you nice of you to say. I have been using an Ipone or a IPad with a clip on macro lens . I am please I have been able to make the most out of the technology I own.  

10 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Just saw your post today. Good timing. I just split this open last night to reveal the rock's innards. I need to pick away and expose things better. But the fresh split still is nice as is. Typical Galena, Ordovician fossils from Fillmore County, Minnesota

DSC_0244.thumb.JPG.66a1bcdc6377de8e70c9d10f069de42a.JPG 

DSC_0245.thumb.JPG.300f8785cd715f8fd27cde9bc3ac0bee.JPG

Very nice plate , looking forward to seeing with a bit of preparation work done to it that you mentioned . Thank you for sharing  it.

• I found this Informative 2

My understanding of the word 'hash' is broken up bits.

'Mortality' means death, but I'm not sure how that one applies, as all fossils were dead either before or during burial! Maybe there is the distinction...

There are two old terms that I don't see much any more: life assemblage and death assemblage. I think the difference was, a life assemblage is preserved in the positions the critters lived in, while a death assemblage in an accumulation of things that had been transported somewhat after they died (whether or not they are broken up doesn't matter, I don't think - some may be broken, some not).

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Innocentx said:

I can't believe I almost missed this post. What I'm seeing is so fantastic. 

@Bobby Rico. You make the greatest posts!

For now I will contribute this array of sheet bryozoans.

011.thumb.JPG.f50b40f1e6b63e0d319a156329229f4c.JPG

They're lovely! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I don't know, but I would call this a death assemblage, in this case when they all died together in a wash of sediment off the continental shelf so that they all died, young and old, flattened facing the same direction, but not necessarily still in the same place when they were alive. 

The eocrinoid, Ascocystites drabownesis, U. Ordovician, Morocco. 

Ascocystites.thumb.jpg.72f3ec9ad646abd9e0effe29bc2d42cb.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I wonder, is there any way to tell whether those guys lived in that spot or were transported some ways? You never see the roots on those - maybe that's a clue? But it seems to me they would need to be rooted in place in order for the currents to orient them all the same way, no?

On 11/26/2018 at 8:42 PM, Wrangellian said:

Nice example of a worldwide index fossil. My best comes from Pine Pass in Northeastern B.C.  I don't know if this would qualify as a hash plate but it could be a # (number) plate as there are a number of them on it! (Accumulation plate I guess) We have them here on Vancouver Island too, and the ones I have would qualify more as hash plates and therefore not as showy.

I'm enjoying all this variety in hash/assemblage plates. In a way they are more interesting than isolated fossils - they are great as little snapshots of the seafloor (or swamp floor?) at some point in the distant past.

Monotis-wllppr.jpg.427555f2bed0b5d33bf6ff6bc171927f.jpg

That’s pretty. The shells have nice strong details. Here in Texas the most common shellfossils besides oysters are steinkerns, which often lack detail.

17 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The eocrinoid, Ascocystites drabownesis, U. Ordovician, Morocco.

Another fantastic creature I've just now learned about thanks to you. Internet has good info on these.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Here is a favorite of mine, Beattie Fm, lower Permian. 

Brachiopods, bivalves, pelecypods.

IMG_4611.thumb.JPG.1c765bf311703d442427459e8a717580.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

And one rather understated with groupings mostly of immature brachiopods.

What gives it most interest is the large track way running across.

IMG_4614.thumb.JPG.ed5f4117a92a1512adbc325951212d96.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Im not really a hash plate kinda guy but there is some really nice stuff here!  What amazes me is the photography.  when I try to take a close up, it just turns blurry.  Maybe I need a new and different camera?

RB

1 hour ago, Innocentx said:

understated with groupings mostly of immature brachiopods.

I really like this, definitely a nice composition with the track ruining though it. All your specimens are fantastic. Thanks for sharing 

1 hour ago, Innocentx said:

And one rather understated with groupings mostly of immature brachiopods.

What gives it most interest is the large track way running across.

Very nice indeed.:)

Always fascinated by Permian stuff.

The trackway is very intriguing. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

How about some trilo-hash! Cambrian age Maryville limestone, Hancock Hawkins County, TN. Width is about 8 inches.

MV.thumb.jpg.0d68a0d8bbd7a84ab64208b474391435.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Just took another shot with better lighting. I have no idea what species are present.

2018-11-28 20.49.08.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

And some graptolite-hash. They appear to be current oriented and are 3D. I really should etch some of these in acid (using a small sample). Ordovician Lebanon limestone, Marshall County, TN. 

2018-11-28 20.53.31.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

3 hours ago, Paciphacops said:

Just took another shot with better lighting. I have no idea what species are present.

2018-11-28 20.49.08.jpg

The ID of this double-spined pygidium: Crepicephalus buttsi

image.png.7f4ffda7e0d7dc905341760022b391db.png

Another Crepicephalus pygidium is in the center.  Most of the the librigenae / genal spines are also consistent with Crepicephalus.

It appears to be a Crepicephalus mass molting pool.  This excellent monograph will assist with IDs for the other associated species:

Rasetti, F. 1965

Upper Cambrian Trilobite Faunas of Northeastern Tennessee.

Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections, 148(3):1-127  LINK

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

15 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Here is a favorite of mine, Beattie Fm, lower Permian. 

Brachiopods, bivalves, pelecypods.

@Innocentx, how could you choose this over that fantastic bryozoan plate that you posted????? Actually all 3 are fabulous!