Linus

Hi again,

Didn't think I should bother you guys with another sponge, but this is a bit peculiar and I can't find anything about sponges on sticks?

This was found in the Kristianstad Basin, Cretaceous period. It is heavily erroded and mineralized, but probably a sponge.

It seems to have a circular growth around what seems to be a stick of some sort. They seem proprotional, so I figure they grew together, but they might not be the same spieces? (the stick + the sponge).

The images does not make the fossil justice, but it is a very voluminoes sponge with bulges that reminds of glass sponge.

The stick is circular in the bottom and more flatt in the top. It might not have reached tremendous heights...?

Questions:

1. Would a sponge grow on a stick?
  2. Why would a sponge need to reach height if it is not drawing energy from sunlight? 
  3. How would a sponge like this pump water? I can't find any "sucking holes"
  4. Shouldn't a sponge with sticks be more branching? More than one branch?

All the best/ Linus

collected.thumb.jpg.3d54c464f49f2fb451fca0e564623c72.jpg

15 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Sponge on a snail shell ?

yeah, I can see why you think that. The object is very hard to photograph in any good way. The bottom looks like the interior of a snail. Perhaps that is a way to pump water, I'm not sure?

The stick runs completely throught the object, and is roughly 25cm long. I also found another piece that perhaps belongs to this(?), but that piece is very erroded. That piece would add another 15cm of actual lenght and perhaps 45cm more in theory? (if it would be a seestraw)

Perhaps 1 meter in length in total if I have to guess?

Edit: Right side images are bottom, and left side images are top...

I get a burrow feeling from this. If theres detail not showing up on the pictures then id probably be leaning towards sponge as we ll.

...I'm back.

That's what i was about to say, i see there is Something like a burrow with an odd concretion around it, maybe spongy.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 hour ago, Linus said:

That would not need support of a stick. 

Do you see evidence, beyond the gross morphology, that this was actually a stick, or actually a sponge. 

To be honest my gut response was that they look a bit like the trace fossil Thalassinoides. The hole being preserved as a vacant mold, and older burrows preserved as casts.

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Do you see evidence, beyond the gross morphology, that this was actually a stick, or actually a sponge. 

To be honest my gut response was that they look a bit like the trace fossil Thalassinoides. The hole being preserved as a vacant mold, and older burrows preserved as casts.

I'm not sure what you mean? It is a stick through something what looks like to be a sponge?

It does not look like a burrow. Not at all. Nor like a snail.

If you have a gut response does not mean I have to accept something that does not applay to the subject?

It is a fossil with a stick through it.

I know sponges are diffcult. We might as well forget about it. Who cares about sponges? right?

All I have to do is buy a usb microscope and some bleach and a drill and I will be on the road.

Just now, Linus said:

t is a fossil with a stick through it.

Is there any "wood grain" in the stick?

The stick is likely the entrance / exit and the blob is a living chamber.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm sorry, there is not more than 1cm between the stick from one side to the other. The photos does not show this. I'm not sure how to photograp this.

Hang on.

Sorry, totally hopeless to photograh the bottom.

The stick would have the diameter size of: 3.3 cm

Depth from edge of bottom to center: 8.1cm

bottom.jpg.fbd2835c3425bb6dad41cfa8e468d6f8.jpg

16 minutes ago, Linus said:

The stick

Sorry, but I do not see a "stick" or any other type of plant fossil here. I do not see any sponge features either.

All I see is a burrow cast.

26 minutes ago, Linus said:

I am not surprised.

Good night.

Sorry You are unhappy with Our assessment, but if You knew what it is why did You ask Us for an opinion?

Please take it to a local museum or university and have a paleontologist look at it. (and let us know what they say about it.)

17 minutes ago, Linus said:

Is that another reference?

Dreams?

No, they do not look like dreams, burrows or snails. Sorry.

"Pleasant dreams"  is a good night wish common in america when someone says they are going to bed (good night), not a comment on the piece or Your thoughts of it.

Don't be so defensive!

Regards,

Tony

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Sorry You are unhappy with Our assessment, but if You knew what it is why did You ask Us for an opinion?

Please take it to a local museum or university and have a paleontologist look at it. (and let us know what they say about it.)

"Pleasant dreams"  is a good night wish common in america when someone says they are going to bed (good night), not a comment on the piece or Your thoughts of it.

Don't be so defensive!

Regards,

Tony

Ok, that is a fair. Tony

I have no clue what it is. I have to ask. Local paleontologist dont care if it is a sponge.

I think they care if the stick would be a rib from a mosasaur. It is not.

I am fully prepared to investigate.

I do not think this is a snail

I do not think this is a burrow

3 minutes ago, Linus said:

Local paleontologist dont care if it is a sponge.

Maybe not, but they should be able to identify it nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Maybe not, but they should be able to identify it nonetheless.

yes they should. I get back to you. I really have to go to sleep.

I’m not great with sponges...do they exhibit some porous texture of some kind? 

Are plant remains like sticks common from that formation? I would also look up if sponges are something that can be found. If neither have ever been described i would do some research on the formation it was found to look for clues. I’m still learning about the formations I hunt. I just recently found out I had a rare phyllocarid mandible and never knew it! 

Good luck on your ID quest. 

Al

• I found this Informative 2

As far as I know, there are no descriptions of the fossil sponges from the Kristianstad Basin.

In this moment they may look like dreams, but I can't rule out their existence.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, Linus said:

I have no clue what it is.

I do not think this is a snail

I do not think this is a burrow

What features (or lack of features) make You so sure it is not?

What I see is an evenly distributed sandy texture with little or no change in structure and some slight mineral stain (darker brown).

The part You say is a "stick" has the same texture and color as the rest of the rock. Also it has no wood like structure other than a general shape. The larger part of the piece shows nothing of the structures a sponge should have other than a vague resemblance of shape.

Hope this helps.