Stumpin' The Night Awaaaayyyyyy.

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Last one for a while as I am off Thursday morning to the Denver Show to drool and buy, then collecting in Heaven (Arner Ranch, Nebraska)and then the Franklin Show to sell.

I bet somebody out there knows this one, but I've only seen a couple of these in two decades.

Pleistocene

Europe

Very close relatives (probably) still living - very enigmatic clue ;)

post-2027-12529555246112_thumb.jpg post-2027-12529556172722_thumb.jpg

post-2027-12529556529474_thumb.jpg post-2027-12529557013206_thumb.jpg

Last one for a while as I am off Thursday morning to the Denver Show to drool and buy, then collecting in Heaven (Arner Ranch, Nebraska)and then the Franklin Show to sell.

I bet somebody out there knows this one, but I've only seen a couple of these in two decades.

Pleistocene

Europe

Very close relatives (probably) still living - very enigmatic clue ;)

post-2027-12529555246112_thumb.jpg post-2027-12529556172722_thumb.jpg

post-2027-12529556529474_thumb.jpg post-2027-12529557013206_thumb.jpg

an uneducated guess but here goes.....Hyaena?

Edited by jimmy1971

Great teeth!

I wish you were coming to the Franklin mineral and fossil show in North Jersey at the end of this month... but I suspect your talking about somewhere closer to you. :)

Edit... DUH... you are from Delaware... so I'll see you at the show! :)

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest Smilodon

Great teeth!

I wish you were coming to the Franklin mineral and fossil show in North Jersey at the end of this month... but I suspect your talking about somewhere closer to you. :)

Edit... DUH... you are from Delaware... so I'll see you at the show! :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be the only fossil dealer inside. I was last year, although there are always some fossil guys outside. I'll see you there.

Crocuta Spelae (cave hyaena) would be my guess. It`s the most common hyaena species (if they would be really common, that they are not...).

Middle Pleistocene. It is an indicator of the warm climate between the glaciations.

A pic of my fossil, for comparison:

post-62-12529995359453_thumb.jpg

Guest Smilodon

And the winner of both an Attaboy and the coveted Minuteman award for being johnny, er, jimmy-on-the-spot is jimmy1971, otherwise known as MR Jimmy from now on.

Yes the somewhat enigmatic Cave Hyena, which may or may not be the living Spotted Hyena. Massive tooth built for meat shearing and bone crushing. Have you ever seen how big these animals are? I stood next to one (behind bars) at a zoo once. Whoa son.

WTG Jimmy.

Edited by Smilodon

Congratulations but do we now have to call you, Mr. Jimmy?:P

"Perfesser" Jimmy.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

LOL....I assure you, it was pure luck and some good google skills! Someday hopefully I will be able to identify things like that off the top of my head like the rest of you. For now, I'm happy just learning what I can from all of you.